Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make my final decision before buying everything for my tj the question I have now is would a 3" suspension or a 2" suspension and 1" body lift be more cost efficient and/or offer a better ride. I will be purchasing 33/12.50r15 duratracs and ION alloy style 174 15x8 wheels. This is my DD will be using it for light wheeling. So which lift option would be better for my needs and are three any brands you recommend.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Height of a lift has nothing to do with how rough it rides. That is largely dependent upon the shocks. Check out OME or Zone lifts. OME has great shocks but are a bit expensive. Zone is a bit cheaper. And a 2.5"-3" lift with a 1" bl is ideal for 33's.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
More work with the suspension and body. U can just install a 3" lift and be done. It's just the coils that r lager. U have to move track bars but all pretty easy. I run a 3" bds with a 11/2 bl and love the bds. Also check out zone. Very affordable

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
What about this. Would I need to get anything that does not come with the kit or should I upgrade anything in it

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1
I just installed that kit a couple weeks ago...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Pretty happy with it. Rather than relocating the front trackbar, I chose to upgrade to the adj. JKS. Pretty firm ride, but I like it. I also used the provided T case drop for now, and there is some driveline vibes. Until I can afford an SYE/ CV driveshaft, and adj. rear UCA's I'll just live with it.... Not outrageous though. Another thing to keep in the back of your head is that you're going to feel like your Jeeps nuts got snipped off once you slap those 33's under there. If you've got an auto, say bye bye to overdrive, and the same goes for 5 th in a manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/QUOTE] Another thing to keep in the back of your head is that you're going to feel like your Jeeps nuts got snipped off once you slap those 33's under there. If you've got an auto, say bye bye to overdrive, and the same goes for 5 th in a manual.[/QUOTE]

Would that change any depending on the motor. I have the 4.0L sport

·
Registered
822 Posts
^^ Depends on your axle gearing. If you have 3.73 or 4.10 you will be fine with the 33's, on the other hand if you have 3.07 you will definitely feel it and thats probably the issue the other poster has..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Another thing to keep in the back of your head is that you're going to feel like your Jeeps nuts got snipped off once you slap those 33's under there. If you've got an auto, say bye bye to overdrive, and the same goes for 5 th in a manual.[/QUOTE]

Would that change any depending on the motor. I have the 4.0L sport[/QUOTE]

Nope. Mine is an 04' sport with the 4.0 and you can definitely feel a loss of power due to stock gearing and those bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had 33's on 3.73 gears and it was perfectly fine, I could run up to 80mph no problem. Now that I've moved to 35's it's a different story...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It will be drivable, not ideal, but definitely drivable. You just won't be setting land speed records... Not that TJ's do that in the first place though :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
What about this. Would I need to get anything that does not come with the kit or should I upgrade anything in it

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1
I installed this kit 3 weeks ago and really like it. Made my own quick discos I'm running 33 12.5 15's with 3:73 and its not that bad . Ran it on the trails last weekend and it did awesome. Gl with your choose for the price zone was hard to beat there bds parts with out the lifetime warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts