Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of choosing my lift. My buddy who is the manager at the place I'm getting it done is insisting on that I just go with a Rough Country 2.5'' Spacer lift. I've been reading many many threads on here regarding lifts and trying to make a decision. So I will ask the question. Which is the right lift for me? This will be my DD. I will be running 35in tires. I'll probably be doing some backroad riding, little mudding. Highly doubt I'll ever do some rock crawling.. (but who knows). I don't want my ride quality to go to crap. I was initially looking at a Skyjacker 2.5'' Sport lift that replaced Coils and Shocks. And he just keeps on insisting I go with the cheaper Rough Country spacer lift. So how about it, what is y'all input on it?
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realized I posted in wrong Forum. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You will need a *lot* more to run 35" tires then just a couple inches of lift! What rear do you have now? D35? 44? What gear ratio? 35"s will stress steering, brakes, all kinds of problems if you don't do it right. Especially if you will wheel it in any way...better rethink this.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Get to know your Jeep first along with researching more on tire sizes and the required lifts before jumping into it. I can tell you for a DD, you wanting to run 35s with only a 2.5" lift (whether spacers or coils) will end in severe disappointment and poor performance along with dire results. No offense but if your 'buddy' that's selling and installing your lift doesn't see the obvious issues of running 35's will require much more than a 2.5" lift along with the proper gear ratio, correct driveline angles, axles, etc... Your buddy is also not doing you a favor by talking you out of a skyjacker coil lift for a RC spacer lift. I would take the TJ to a true 4WD shop that deals with Jeeps.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
You'll need more than 2.5 inch lift for 35's. If you don't want your ride quality to go to crap stick with 31 -32s
Ride quality isn't based on tire size...it is going to revolve more around shocks and suspension quality. Quality steering is also beneficial. If 35s made for a crappy ride, Im sure you wouldnt see them on as many daily drivers. While there are many things involved with running 35s correctly...35s alone will not be the cause of a bad ride. If it rides bad with 35s...it probably rides bad on 31s

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first upgrade was 2" spacers on 31's and the rear rubbed just a little bit on the fender. I upgraded to 3" coils on the front, left the 2" spacers on the rear, and did a 1" body lift. Currently running 33's and definitely wouldn't want to go any bigger. With the extra weight, not considering clearance, you will have to get into gearing. Here is a pic of mine in the rear (roughly 3" lift counting the BL). This is also my daily driver. If I were you, I would go with the full suspension upgrade and run 33's...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts