Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all.. I was told yesterday by my local offroad shop that if I lift my jeep, the ride will be more 'stiff'... and bouncy...

Why is that?

aren't springs designed for a specific weight and size, etc...is the bouncy'ness', related to the springs, or the shocks?

I would think that a spring if designed right would find an equilibrium, and kinda boing, boing boing, and just want to bounce up and down, kinda freely...unless the spring is designed to remove that and allow the body to settle down more into the spring.

And the shock would dampen that boing boing boing, thing, and slow it down...so that it didn't bounce...

I guess I am thinking of heavy / older Cadillac, that 'drive like a boat'.. and float...

im not sure if I am describing what I am thinking properly...

but, I am kinda surprised that there isnt a 'standard' or acceptable, level of 'comfort', associated with different springs/shocks.

i.e. ratings system....standardized.

ideally, I would like to test drive different setups...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Find a new offroad shop. Seriously, don't go there again. Yes, with some lifts jeeps will ride rough but not all. Do your research and choose wisely. I have OMU springs and Skyjacker hydro shirts on mine and it rides better than stock.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow, you are asking quite a bit but we will help you out as much as we can. There are many factors that can result in a stiff ride and also bouncy. The first thing to look at is the quality of the springs being used. Many of the cheaper lift companies use cheap spring steel in the leaf packs, also they will use spring rates that are much higher then factory. The goal of these cheaper companies is to lift the jeep only for the look and not the ride. What you need to ask your self is what is you goal with your jeep. Are you going to go 4 wheeling, or any type of off road driving such as hunting or getting to that hidden fishing spot, or are you just wanting the cool look of a lifted jeep? The high quality lift kits do offer different spring rates according to load of the jeep. Such as engine, hard top verses soft top, winch, or heavy bumpers. As far as shocks go, yes they are for damping the bounce of the springs, but here to it comes down to quality of the shocks and the valveing of the shocks. Many base level kits will come with the cheapest shocks, that will usually not help with the ride. It would be nice to have a standardized rating system, but it would be hard due to "ride quality" being a subjective thing. But one thing to that greatly affects ride beside the kit quality is the quality of the install. It is not uncommon for people (whether at home or shops) to over torque shackles, which will kill the ride of any spring. And finally tire pressures. To much air in the tires will also affect the ride. The tires make up a portion of the suspension system that many do not think off. Hope this helps a little get you started.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the offroad shop I went to, is a well known shop and busier the all get out... he told me it would be at least a month before he could look at my jeep....

if anyone knows of other shops in the Pasadena area, I would appreciate it... I could between Glendale and San Dimas, or somewhere in that general area...

I mentioned to that shop I went to that I put on new shackles, 1", and I think I over torqued them and think that is affecting my ride.. i think the comment I made was that i just installed new 1" shackles and think I over torqued them as my ride is super stiff since then, and didn't even respond... as if the springs will have way more impact...

anyways... I will borrow a torque wrench from autozone this weekend and make sure my shackles are correct....but, I am confident they well exceed 50lbs the guy helping me was lifiting himself off the ground.. (he weighs a buck thirty ish)

I know the subjective nature, but companies do it all the time... mattress companies, declare, firm and not firm...

I'm not sure what is 'cheap' lift kits and what isn't... it seems the prices are around $500-900 for a 2 - 2-1/2 inch lift the difference I see is that some kits include tcase drop hardware, some include brakeline extension...

but on average, I expected to spend around $750 for the lift kit...

I did'nt think I need to extend the brake lines at this time..

I hope to go offroad maybe 2-3 times per year... very light trails... no serious rock climbing, no mud pits...

so, daily driver, and look cool is the primary...some lite offroad use so that I don't break anything , HOPEFULLY

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Research soft ride springs and purchase the best quality you can afford.

All things being equal, a lifted YJ will tend to ride harsher, mainly because the lift comes from spring arch. An arched spring will transfer more energy to the frame/shackle than a flat spring.

Where you get ride improvement is from 1) you have become accustomed to worn out stock springs/shocks and 2) you install superior quality lift springs/shocks and 3) new tires are typically installed at the same time.

Also, consider installing yourself. YJ's are probably the easiest to install, you'll save some money and learn a ton about your jeep along the way.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i plan on doing the lift on my own, with help... I dont have a big selection of tools, especially larger tools...

I did the shackles...

my physical limitations are my neck/back.. bending, stooping, lifting, etc...

bit, if I can get things at waist height, to neck height, I am golden... technically, I think I could handle a ton... I have rebuilt motors, and rear ends before... a LONG LONG time ago... with help

my problems are kinda like other folks.. daily driver... (and my back)..

I would love to do more...

I will google soft rid springs, jeep..

the offroad shop referred me to DEAVER SPRINGS/SUSPENSION.... their prices are kinda 'HIGH'... not sure why... reputation?

quality can't be the only reason... Im sure they aren't forging their springs... they are using the same springs as someone else is.. (not all, but I doubt they have the only source for individual leafs)..

They may have the ability to test each leaf, and package them specifically to a specific vehicle, or a specific person's vehicle. i.e. I maybe heavier or lighter, and they may calculate LIVE LOAD v DEAD LOAD, (weight of the vehicle and all it's accessories)...

I am hoping I can either get hands on with some different jeep YJs and feel how they handle with a certain vendors springs, vs another vendors springs... so I can feel the differences.

or hear for folks who 'wanted a softer ride' and bought brand X, and either got the softer ride or didnt?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am hoping I can either get hands on with some different jeep YJs and feel how they handle with a certain vendors springs, vs another vendors springs... so I can feel the differences. or hear for folks who 'wanted a softer ride' and bought brand X, and either got the softer ride or didnt?
There are so many factors to ride quality, not sure driving other YJ's will help unless they are all set up identical.

I had skyjacker soft ride 2-1/2" on my old YJ, they were recommended to me by a guy who ran a fleet of tour jeeps, at the time I was happy with them - but I don't know what the consensus is on them these days.

Old Man Emu and Deaver seem to get good reviews for quality and ride, but you'll have to research. Keep in mind some cheaper "soft" springs may tend to sag over time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When doing this project just make sure you have some good jacks. Getting the springs and axle together is not difficult with leverage (jacks). Take your time and search youtube and you will find some good videos on this process. I put 2.5 in Rubicon Express and the ride was noticeably better. There are other considerations if you lift such as driveline angles to avoid vibrations which can be taken care of with a transfer case drop or slip yoke eliminator. All things can still be done in a home garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts