Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an 01 sport 3.73's with 31x10.5s
Open differential

Traded up to a 04 rubicon on 245/75r16
LSD with lockers

I'm getting within 8000 miles of needing tires, so trying to research what I realistically need/want tire wise then will lift accordingly.

Doing some trail riding at the farm there are places the rubicon will go in 2wd that the 01 sport would bog if I didn't have the jeep in 4 lo.

I am not looking to regear, so my concern is if I jump up to a 265 or even 285 will I start to out tire the 4.11 gears. I am assuming power wise the 01 and 04 weren't too different. So want to keep power but would love to get rid of the factory rake and if I need tires anyway seems like the time to go up in size.

·
Read Only
365 Posts
... jump up to a 265 or even 285 will I start to out tire the 4.11 gears. I am assuming power wise the 01 and 04 weren't too different. So want to keep power but would love to get rid of the factory rake and if I need tires anyway seems like the time to go up in size.
... First point the 265/285 is actually the width of the tire in mm
The next number is aspect ratio .. percent of first number to make up the height on sidewall..ie 265/70/r16
would be 265 mm wide and the side wall would be 185.5 mm high..
This site might help you.Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends... do you have the auto or manual tranny? My TJ Rubi had auto and 33s" killed it on the highways, but with rubi axles it was fine off road. The TJL Rubi with 6 spd has zero issues on or off road with 33" - based on the type of offroad I do (moderate desert/rock, nothing "crazy"). The 6sp has a much lower 1st gear and a lower OD than the auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts