Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2013 Unlimited and was careful to seek out one equipped with the max tow package and 3:73 diffs. My wife and I pull a small enclosed trailer (6x12) around our small state to do handmade vintage markets. The trailer itself is pretty light with a GWR of 3000 pounds which is a bit overkill since we might have 5-600lbs of stock we haul in it. BUT it's better too have too much trailer than not enough.

Anyway.. I want to add a little lift and some taller tires just to give the Jeep a nicer look. Just looking to see if anyone is toting a trailer around on 33-35s with a few inches of lift.

Thanks

Great site btw

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
I can recommend MetalCloak though I am sure a kit from TeraFlex or RockKrawler would do find also. I have a 2 door, running 35's with a 2.5 inch MC lift kit. My trailer is small but I have pull it coast to coast and north to south and never an issue.

What you will need to do though if you go to 35.s is re-gear. You could go with a budget boost and run 33's and probably be ok but 35's and pulling with 3.73's would be ask a lot.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm under the assumption that the higher one lifts the jeep, the better the gears need to be upgraded. would this be a correct statement?. I mean common sense tells me if one is lifting and adding larger tires etx.. the gears should be increased as well. So is there a point which gears need to be replaced based on the size of the tire. anything below 35 can be 3.73 anything above should be 4.10 or better.. Not that our future wrangler is going to be doing any towing.. we've opted for the 3.73 just in case.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's basically it. with a trailer behind you, 35's and a large hill, you may want 4.10 or 4.56 to feel like you have power under the pedal.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm under the assumption that the higher one lifts the jeep, the better the gears need to be upgraded. would this be a correct statement?. I mean common sense tells me if one is lifting and adding larger tires etx.. the gears should be increased as well. So is there a point which gears need to be replaced based on the size of the tire. anything below 35 can be 3.73 anything above should be 4.10 or better.. Not that our future wrangler is going to be doing any towing.. we've opted for the 3.73 just in case.
Not the lift, but the height of the tires, the bigger they're, the more leverage you'll need via gears to compensate for the added tire height, if you'll be towing, you should get at least 4.10's with the factory 32's, you'll want more gear if the tires are bigger, especially when towing at elevation.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Jeep specs a minimum of 3.73 gears for the max tow rating of 3500.
So each tire size you go up, your final ratio goes down (numerically).
Tire size=effective ratio
32=3.73
33=3.62
34=3.51
35=3.41
36=3.32
37=3.23
etc

Personally I like to stay in the stock 4.10 ratio or higher for towing.
So a 35" tire should be 4.56 minimum (effective 4.17), 37" tire 4.88 minimum. (effective 4.22). Those are just general #s, altitude & trailer weight will figure in too.

And as long as we're discussing towing make sure you check out the frontal area of your trailer and make sure it's within spec.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys

Jeep specs a minimum of 3.73 gears for the max tow rating of 3500.
So each tire size you go up, your final ratio goes down (numerically).
Tire size=effective ratio
32=3.73
33=3.62
34=3.51
35=3.41
36=3.32
37=3.23
etc

Personally I like to stay in the stock 4.10 ratio or higher for towing.
So a 35" tire should be 4.56 minimum (effective 4.17), 37" tire 4.88 minimum. (effective 4.22). Those are just general #s, altitude & trailer weight will figure in too.

And as long as we're discussing towing make sure you check out the frontal area of your trailer and make sure it's within spec.

Good luck :thumb:
Thanks for the conversion chart. Heres where my brain is at...
I have seen guys that claim they pull trailers like mine with 3:21s and have no issues at all. By looking at the chart I see that even if a guy with 3:73s was to go as big as 35s, he'd still be pulling better than the stock tire guys with the 3:21s. SO that's my delima

I have the 2.5" Teraflex lift and 33" BFG TA KO2s and towed a similar trailer from Augusta, GA to Winston-Salem, NC and didn't have any issues.
Thanks. I live in indiana which for the most part is pretty flat. I assume that you got into some hills.. able to maintain speeds?

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys

Thanks for the conversion chart. Heres where my brain is at...
I have seen guys that claim they pull trailers like mine with 3:21s and have no issues at all. By looking at the chart I see that even if a guy with 3:73s was to go as big as 35s, he'd still be pulling better than the stock tire guys with the 3:21s. SO that's my delima
Depends on if you're a "it can be done" guy, or a "should be done" guy.

IMO what you should have seen is that the second you go with a larger tire you are no longer a "max tow capacity" Jeep and the gearing should be adjusted for the new tire size.

OR

Maybe seen that 4.10 is preferred and that you should consider more gear even at factory tire size...... Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old Jeep snob.... dunno :D

I have plenty of "can be done" friends, one in particular (and a forum member) towed a chevy 1500 truck several hundred miles on 3.21 gears and 33s. Laughed at us when we tried to tell him it shouldn't be done. Not too long after he had trans slipping and overheating problems. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Jeep was totaled shortly afterwards so we didn't get to witness the long-term effects.

Just hate to see people doing things like that. It's hard on the trans, hard on the engine and can easily be avoided with proper gearing.

Hope it's OK to be that blunt, not bagging on you. Promise.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on if you're a "it can be done" guy, or a "should be done" guy.

IMO what you should have seen is that the second you go with a larger tire you are no longer a "max tow capacity" Jeep and the gearing should be adjusted for the new tire size.

OR

Maybe seen that 4.10 is preferred and that you should consider more gear even at factory tire size...... Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old Jeep snob.... dunno :D

I have plenty of "can be done" friends, one in particular (and a forum member) towed a chevy 1500 truck several hundred miles on 3.21 gears and 33s. Laughed at us when we tried to tell him it shouldn't be done. Not too long after he had trans slipping and overheating problems. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Jeep was totaled shortly afterwards so we didn't get to witness the long-term effects.

Just hate to see people doing things like that. It's hard on the trans, hard on the engine and can easily be avoided with proper gearing.

Hope it's OK to be that blunt, not bagging on you. Promise.
Ha! I'm going to go with grumpy old jeep snob lol. I totally get what you're saying tho brother. I'm old and grumpy too :drinks:

I'll never need to pull max capacity. probably close to 2k maybe and mostly short trips. It's a daily and the extra gearing to be able to tote a trailer a few times a month...

well anyway. I'd like to hear more

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
I don't think it can be over stated just how much easier it is when you have proper gears. I lived with 4.10's and 35's for about 30K miles, I have a manual and pulling a trailer that is smaller than yours. Yes, it can be done but now that I have geared properly I can say it shouldn't be done. And I still have 450 miles to go before I can tow again. People just won't believe what it is like to drive a properly geared Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts