Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to go with a 34 tire for my 2015 jk unlimited and have decided to regear to 4.56. Before I looked into the regearing process I was thinking just new 33 wheels and a lift kit of about 2 inches nOw I think I will put the money torwards regearing and new wheels just because I don't want to put too much stress on the engine. . I would still like to lift but everything will add to a bit more than I wanted to spend right now. Looking for recommendations on how I could lift for cheap. Not looking for cheap lift kits looking for something like coil springs or similar. Don't do any hardcore off-roading and my main thing is trying to keep my jeep safe for now.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
You're regearing to 3.73? ..... IMO you need to drive your Jeep stock for now, Do a Lot of reading here and rethink some things.
Better to go slow and get it right the first time ....

Welcome.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Agree, do not regear to 3.73... Get an end game build in mind. Do you want 35's at some point? If you do, you'll want at least a 2.5" lift and also a regear to 4.56. So do just the lift now and start saving... Don't go cheap on the suspension, it's the heart and soul of your Jeep.

Building Jeeps is not cheap... Making mistakes with your Jeep and $$ makes it even worse.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Eyyy... I said "Rethink" because in another post you mentioned 35's and now it's 34's and it was 33's... That said there are a lot of other factors as well . I will stand by the macro point of go slow, read read and read some more. Sorry if that didn't seem "Helpful" but it doesn't make it bad advice.

Ok.... You need an AEV or Mopar 2-2.5" lift and you need to get new wheels with the correct backspacing (4.5-5.2) OR a set of wheel spacers (spidertrax perhaps) and you need 35" tires. Why? Because "If" you read you will see that everybody that gets 33" or 34" ends up unhappy and wants 35".
BUT getting Big wheels and tires comes at a Huge Price AND it cause premature wear of suspension parts as well as brakes.
You will also need a more robust tire carrier or risk blowing out your rear gate.
Then there is the issue of........

Tough to tell someone what they "need" because everybodys budget, uses and needs are different. The forum has a lot of disparate information available to the individual who then can ask specific questions as well as customize their own final build solution.
I have built at least Nine(9) Jeeps, FJCruisers and Tacomas and Still I read this forum daily and read and read and still learn from others successes and failures. Reading isn't/wasn't meant to be an insult nor was it intended as a slight.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Rethink what? Suggestion would be good instead of just saying not to do it
I second RubiconSS. Do some research before spending money. You will regret it if you do not. I read this forum for MONTHS and probably asked/posted 50 questions before purchasing anything. I asked a ton of questions. Be patient, ask a lot of questions & good luck! This "hobby" is very expensive and can easily cost you thousands!..........as you probably know.:awesome:

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I second RubiconSS. Do some research before spending money. You will regret it if you do not. I read this forum for MONTHS and probably asked/posted 50 questions before purchasing anything. I asked a ton of questions. Be patient, ask a lot of questions & good luck! This "hobby" is very expensive and can easily cost you thousands!..........as you probably know.:awesome:
Yes Indeed and it can cost you thousands on top of thousands "IF" you get everything Right the First time. Add in a few missteps/mistakes/Ooops and an Ahh shit and the price tag can make a Grownup weep.
Couple that with the expensive misstep resulting in a driveline vibration that can't get diagnosed let alone fixed and now you have an expensive Jeep sitting outside that you absolutely HATE now because it doesn't drive right anymore.

Fastest way to Kill the Love is a Mod gone - Wrong.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I will save you the thousands,, get the gears first thats the things most people cheap out on and should really do first....., then lift it 2 inches with taller coils and shocks
then get your 33s...drive it by the time you wear out the 33s you will really know what you want you might just be plenty happy with that..plus this method of building it allows you to drive it as you purchase each upgrade , makes it easier on the wallet for those on a monthly budget... .we sounds like you have looked into it enough to understand changing one dynamic ripples thru others... i.e.,,, bigger tires need proper gearing.
in all circumstances you will want the gears... 4.56 or 4.88s will be fine and there are plenty of jk big builds built around 4.56s I would start there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I have been reading but not everyone asks what I want to know.. I would say asking questions is a goood way to learn. I have read how most ppl end up wanting 35, something I believe looks nice too! i will look into gearing and lifting for now then, till I'm all caught up with those bills. Would it be fine to run my stock wheels with lift and new gearing till then?. Also if I happened to be ok with the 34s later down the line would the 4.56 be good or would that be more for 35?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Look at engine curve charts for gearing vs tire size. 4.56 will be fine for 33 to 35 all day.. and will be fine with your stock tires (it will feel like it should from the factory IMO)you can go deeper on the gears but will be more aggressive is you go 4.88 or 5.13 etc.

I run 5.13 with 35s, its great for in town and is awesome off road... limits my top speed on highway. Doesn't bother me as if I wanna go fast I hope in my car with the super charged Hemi. I woulnt recommend it if you commute on highways a lot and its your only vehicle, but for off road climbing 5.13s are awesome.

you should really just go take a ride a a jeep with proper gearing,, from the factory the put gearing it it to meet EPA mpg numbers, not how the engine really wants to run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts