Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is supposed to only be reviews but i have questions i seriously need answered prior to purchasing a lift kit:

difference between short arm and long arm?
difference between body lift kit, suspension lift kit, and coil lift kit? Do i use one with the other, how do i go about lifting my car in the safest and most effective way

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
First of all, you don't NEED to buy a lift kit. Stock Jeeps are more than capable of getting you through most off-road situations. That said, if you want to learn about lift kits, you gotta do homework.

Start with the links below. They'll give you the basics of various types of lifts, some pros and cons, etc.

Outfitting Your Jeep® Vehicle 101: Suspension Lifts | Jeep

Lift Kits, Truck Lift Kits, & Suspension Lift Kits from 4 Wheel Parts

Jeep Lift Kits Explained | sfrubicon.com

After you've digested that, look through this WF thread. It'll at least give you some ideas for the look you want, what different lifts will and won't do, some realistic necessities that come with lifting a Jeep, etc.

JK Lift Reviews

BTW, when you say "i have questions i seriously need answered prior to purchasing a lift kit" it sounds like you're in a big-time hurry to spend some $$ without having a clue as to what you're getting into. Not trying to be an a#*, here, but it's nowhere near as simple as that.

Unless you're rich, and don't mind hemorrhaging cash. :D

Toward the end of your post you say, "how do i go about lifting my car in the safest and most effective way."

Don't know about your car, but if it's your Jeep you're referring to, check out the above links, think about what you wanna use your Jeep for, ask informed questions, and read as many threads on lifts that you can possibly find.

Unless, like I said, you're loaded. Then the "buckshot" method will work just fine.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
kbwwolf makes some informative statements. You need to figure out what you want to do with your jeep first, then decide on the lift that will best fit your needs. What size tires are you wanting to run. If you go with bigger tires, are you planning on gears too! Between long arm, short arm, budget boost, LCG, etc, etc, etc. Then, each of these lift types has about a dozen mfgs. that make them. Also, everyone will have an opinion on what they think is the best lift for you.

READ, READ and then READ some more.

·
Registered
780 Posts
difference between short arm and long arm?
Stock control arms or replacement adjustable control arms that mount to the same brackets are short arms. Long arms require the chassis end brackets to be removed and new ones welded on further away from the diff to cater for the 'longer' control arms. Benefits are smoother ride and easier articulation and generally used for higher lifts (4+ inch suspension lifts)

difference between body lift kit, suspension lift kit, and coil lift kit?
Coil lift and suspension lift are the same thing, as the coils are the suspension. A body lift simply involves undoing the points where the body bolts to the chassis and putting spacers in then bolting it back up. Popular on TJ's, not really common on JK's.

Do i use one with the other, how do i go about lifting my car in the safest and most effective way?
Personally a coil/suspension lift of a few inches is all thats normally required for better crawling capabilities and to fit some larger tyres under it. That said, 33's will fit under a stock JK, 35's you would want around 3in lift which can be done quite happily on short arm style suspension.

Bottom line, work out what you want the Jeep to do, how big a tyre you want put on, what sort of $$$ budget you want to work within and work out the rest to suit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i appreciate all the information....the reason i said i was in serious need is because Im gonna start to plan out the order in which im purchasing the parts over the next few months...I was also planning on taking advantage of the holiday season to acquire some lower priced parts that may become necessary in the future when adding on larger additions such as a lift or larger tires or whatever

I know the stock rig is pretty good to go on its own, i just notice that even on amateur trails, my bottom is scraping here and there just due to its height (which is not low, im aware)...i also put on a pretty heavy bumper in the front and its sagged a bit, not much, but the bumper and winch (which have already saved me once) add about 180 lbs to the front suspension, and dont know if i level it out with a kit, or just jump into lifting or coils or whatever

clearly im not too informed on the way to go about it all, although i DO know i want to raise the body to accommodate larger tires (which is my main goal)...Im never planning on anything like a 4in lift, or 40in tires, but ive been getting out there a lot and am seeing the benefits of increased tire size/grip, and some more clearance height

which bodes my next question, which comes first? Im gonna read up on all those links and see how i should be approaching everything....

deff not looking to hemorrhage money haha, and a budget anything is way up my ally, my ride is a 2011 sahara 2dr, shes great off road, no question, and ive invested like my life savings already into basic safety equipment and bull shit (winch, skid plates, aux lights, cb radio cause theres no cell service, etc...) I dont have any friends that 4wheel, and im out alone most of the time

didnt mean to sound like a jackass, never really used a forum and have no idea how often people are on it etc but its clearly a gold mine for help and advice!!

im gonna read those links, and i really appreciate all the information in the thread...if anybody has any other suggestions please post away, im gonna throw some pics up later tonight or tomorrow too...

thanks again for the help guys

also, safest and effective meaning its not a bitch to drive on the highway as i do a lot of long distance driving too

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
i appreciate all the information....the reason i said i was in serious need is because Im gonna start to plan out the order in which im purchasing the parts over the next few months...I was also planning on taking advantage of the holiday season to acquire some lower priced parts that may become necessary in the future when adding on larger additions such as a lift or larger tires or whatever

That sounds like a plan. Hope you don't think I was jumping on you; I wasn't. I just hate to see someone rush out and spend a bunch of money on their Jeep without being aware that lifts, new tires & wheels, etc can cause expensive problems very quickly if not properly thought out.

I know the stock rig is pretty good to go on its own, i just notice that even on amateur trails, my bottom is scraping here and there just due to its height (which is not low, im aware)...i also put on a pretty heavy bumper in the front and its sagged a bit, not much, but the bumper and winch (which have already saved me once) add about 180 lbs to the front suspension, and dont know if i level it out with a kit, or just jump into lifting or coils or whatever

One thing you can do that's fairly cheap is to buy some Rubi take-offs. Look under your Jeep, at the top of the springs. There should be a tag that looks like this:
View attachment 79902
The last two #'s are the spring rate. Mine is 16 (on front; rear is, I think, 58). Most Jeeps, unless you have a max tow package, are middle of the road. If your current springs are say, 14 front, 56 rear, you might benefit from finding some Rubi springs that are 19's and 60's (which is the max, I believe). That should give you about an inch of lift for very little $$, and should hold you until you figure out what kind of lift you eventually wanna go with. Look on CL, the classifieds here and on other forums...People sell their Rubi take-offs all the time.

clearly im not too informed on the way to go about it all, although i DO know i want to raise the body to accommodate larger tires (which is my main goal)...Im never planning on anything like a 4in lift, or 40in tires, but ive been getting out there a lot and am seeing the benefits of increased tire size/grip, and some more clearance height

which bodes my next question, which comes first? Im gonna read up on all those links and see how i should be approaching everything....

Decide on the tire size you want first. If you're like most folks, you'll want to look at smaller rims to save $$. 33" tires and 15" rims are popular with a lot of folks. You can run those with a minimal lift (and often no lift, depending on the backspacing of the rims). And the tires will be much cheaper than if you buy tires to fit 17" or 18" rims.

As for the lift, they get more expensive and require more accompanying parts the higher you go. A general cut-off point is 3-inches. Above that, you're gonna need a new driveshaft (for the front, at least, and depending on the lift maybe even the rear, as well), adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar, etc.

When you start getting into 3" lift and 35" tire territory, you also have to start considering a gear change. You'll find that your Jeep labors to pass on the highway, going up hills...in short, your power curve will suck. Gear changes go for about +/– $1500 for parts and labor.

Just stuff to consider.
:D

deff not looking to hemorrhage money haha, and a budget anything is way up my ally, my ride is a 2011 sahara 2dr, shes great off road, no question, and ive invested like my life savings already into basic safety equipment and bull shit (winch, skid plates, aux lights, cb radio cause theres no cell service, etc...) I dont have any friends that 4wheel, and im out alone most of the time

That's not very safe. You might think about joining a local 4x4 club. They're everywhere. Then you'll have folks to go out with. Not preachin, just sayin...

didnt mean to sound like a jackass, never really used a forum and have no idea how often people are on it etc but its clearly a gold mine for help and advice!!

No judgment here...it just sounded like you wanted a quick tutorial so you could speed over to the lift store and hand your wallet to some dude who'd be happy to sell you dirt. Nobody wants to see that. Well, almost nobody...

im gonna read those links, and i really appreciate all the information in the thread...if anybody has any other suggestions please post away, im gonna throw some pics up later tonight or tomorrow too...

thanks again for the help guys

also, safest and effective meaning its not a bitch to drive on the highway as i do a lot of long distance driving too

If you're gonna use it for your DD, that's just another reason to keep the mods to a reasonable level.
Best thing you can do, as I said earlier, is to gather as much info about modifying your Jeep as you can. You'll be much more likely to avoid expensive mistakes. You'll understand your Jeep better if something, at some point, does go wrong. And, ultimately, you'll be a lot happier with the end product.

If you have questions, start a new post (or jump in on one already in progress.)

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :thumb:

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont feel jumped on at all, in fact it helps to be "told" something is a bad idea if i dont know it...i know how much can go wrong so quickly (and so costly) which is why im on here in the first place

i was hoping to get like 2 or 2.5 lift on the car in the long run and was def planning on going small wheel large tire, 15 and 33 sounds like a solid goal, wasnt sure about the wheels but i dont think ill have $$ for that for some time anyway...

i realize going crazy with 4x4 upgrades will degrade power on the road, which is why i want to limit the tire size increase, as well as the amount of lift. Are rubi take offs new springs? or coil spacers? i bought some cheap coil spacers but didnt know if it would be a safe add on without any other compensation? i assume your considering the allowable travel of the suspension as well? im obviously gonna check it all prior but just wondering if you were

the rubi take offs sound like the way for me to go for now...i think an inch would do more then enough for the time being, at least until i find some bank roll to move up in tires, which, once again, is my main goal

i realize it is not safe and after i went out last time and got stuck and had to find some people on the trail, i dont plan on going out without anyone again...i found some people to ride with this past weekend so hopefully i can maintain a good relationship with them...i wasnt sure if there was a benefit to actually joining a club as opposed to finding someone on here or something, but now i see its worth joining

again, really appreciate all the input, nice to know people are pretty supportive in the early phases

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
:thumb:

The rubi take-offs are just Rubicon springs that somebody is selling because they bought a lift. If you can find a set of 19/60's it should give you a bit of a lift, depending on what your current spring rates are. If you're already at 17/58 it's not gonna do you much good.

Joining a club is a just a suggestion. If you've got peeps to wheel with, then do that, instead. Wheeling alone, though...you're liable to end up walking out, rather than driving out.

The coil spacers you have are pretty commonly used to compensate for the sag caused by aftermarket bumpers, winch, etc. What do you have, 1/4", 1/2"? That should help with the 180 lbs you said you've added to the front of your Jeep.

In the meantimes, here's a fairly recent thread that deals with spacer lifts vs spring lifts. Should give you an idea of pros and cons, as well as costs, of each.

spacers vs. a lift kit????

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome...thanks for the advice...i just read the first two links, gonna read the next 2 (from your first reply)

i returned the spacers cause i wasnt sure if i should do it or not, wanted to get some more info and whatnot; sounds like the coils and/or spacers would be a great idea for the time being...

at least until i figure out how/when ill be looking into tires/wheels and by the sound of it, a suspension lift

appreciate the help, ill find a few local clubs to join before i go out again

anychance your in the northeast btw?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Wisconsin. But I travel all over the place for work...was in your neck of the (concrete) in August. Took my niece and nephew to DC for a few days. And a I lived in Arlington for awhile. Still got family in VA, NJ, and PA.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah, gotcha. very cool...well if you ever road trip out here well hit the trails for sure...

i checked out that thread though and the difference between a spacer lift and coil lift is one lifts the current coils and one is just larger coils?
---couldnt get concrete answer fromt hat thread

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
ah, gotcha. very cool...well if you ever road trip out here well hit the trails for sure...

i checked out that thread though and the difference between a spacer lift and coil lift is one lifts the current coils and one is just larger coils?
---couldnt get concrete answer fromt hat thread
:thumb: Will do.

A spacer lift is the same thing as a budget boost (BB). They are a cheap way to lift your Jeep without having to foot the bill for a full lift kit. Personally, I'm not a big fan of spacer lifts, since they're usually done with stock shocks, which will sag over time. Also, you need bumpstops and sometimes other accessories with them.

They're fine for the short-term, but if you plan on wheeling your Jeep regularly and keeping it for awhile I'd plan on getting a true lift, which is new shocks, springs, etc.

Maybe that last thread was a bit confusing. But the more you read, the clearer it'll become. You'll probably get a headache every now and then, but hey...:D

481 Posts
i realize it is not safe and after i went out last time and got stuck and had to find some people on the trail, i dont plan on going out without anyone again...i found some people to ride with this past weekend so hopefully i can maintain a good relationship with them...i wasnt sure if there was a benefit to actually joining a club as opposed to finding someone on here or something, but now i see its worth joining
I live in Philly. I check the PA thread and the NJ thread to see if anyone is going out. This weekend 25 of us got together for a six hour trail ride. Was my first time out, met some great folks, and had a great time. Check out the JF Local section of the forum. Please don't go out alone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Outstanding thread.

Not that I'm grading it or anything but, what I liked the most about it is the OP's initial post did start off pretty vague & rushed - yet, instead of someone saying "use the search button" or something snarky - it was responded to with patience and excellent information! Too many times on forums, I see a new forum member who's simply not familiar with how forums work try to chime into a thread or ask a question - and veteran board members just jump'em to death; literally. They get a bad first impression & never come back. But this was the complete opposite - AND...more importantly - provided ME (and others I'm sure) with some very valuable information!

Thanks for a great thread guys! Love this forum.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i agree--really appreciate being meshed into this...

ryanjk, im always down for a ride if you wanna head out sometime, im busy as hell this next 2 weeks but miught be able to spare a day here or there...already driving about 80 miles to GWNF so wouldnt mind going a bit further to find some new trails

im really interested in going mudding, idk if anybody has any good ideas for spots in the north east? i know shoe creek VA is supposed to be good, and the pine barrens in NJ

·
Registered
428 Posts
sknyfats said:
outstanding thread.

Not that i'm grading it or anything but, what i liked the most about it is the op's initial post did start off pretty vague & rushed - yet, instead of someone saying "use the search button" or something snarky - it was responded to with patience and excellent information! Too many times on forums, i see a new forum member who's simply not familiar with how forums work try to chime into a thread or ask a question - and veteran board members just jump'em to death; literally. They get a bad first impression & never come back. But this was the complete opposite - and...more importantly - provided me (and others i'm sure) with some very valuable information!

Thanks for a great thread guys! Love this forum.
x2

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Great info!

I saw you mentioned the max tow package effects the strength of the springs or shocks? How so? Does it have to do with the axle ratio? I looked at my sticker, I have the 3.73 w/ max tow.

An extra inch from some Rubi take offs sounds like an inexpensive, high quality way to go. Other than height, do they give you a better ride?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Great info!

I saw you mentioned the max tow package effects the strength of the springs or shocks? How so? Does it have to do with the axle ratio? I looked at my sticker, I have the 3.73 w/ max tow.

An extra inch from some Rubi take offs sounds like an inexpensive, high quality way to go. Other than height, do they give you a better ride?
Jeeps with the max tow package usually receive stiffer springs, such as the 19's front/60's rear I mentioned above.

Other than that, it's kind've a crapshoot as to the springs a Jeep gets.

As for whether or not the ride is better, I really don't know. Someone like daggo66, who's made the spring change, should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just checked my coils...running 13f/55r, seems like the rubis or something bigger might be a good idea for some temporary lift (even tho its just the body), at least stop the sagging in the front

opinion?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts