Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the 2/1 TF leveling kit and just got the 285/75/17 ridge grapplers with Rubicon rims on spidertrax spacers. I love the tires and the look. No rub at all as I am driving around town. I have a trip to windrock this fall and will go back to Moab in the spring, so I am concerned I might rub the fenders off road.

I am contemplating switching out the leveling kit for a 2.5 lift or switching to the rsi flares (I like the full coverage look and have a full width lod destroyer front bumper ... Don't love the $1000 price). I guess the third option is bump stops, but I assume that would restrict some capability off road (correct me if I am wrong)

I know a lot of it is personal preference, but to help gather data to make the decision. Is there ride or handling improvements (on road specifically) that come with new springs/shocks/suspension components for the ride height and added weight that I have now?

I have the lod bumper, winch, lights, Gobi rack, security box, tools, etc.

I have a 2017 Rubicon with about 20k miles on the suspension. (13k driving and 7k being flat towed)

I don't dislike the ride quality know. It could stand to be a bit firmer (not harsher) in my opinion.

I am considering the jks springs if I go with the lift.

I do a lot of highway daily driving so that is the primary comfort. ... But we do take it off road. Mostly Forest service type roads locally in southeast, but up to moderate level (so far) trails out west. (Fins and things probably being the toughest so far for example).

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run the same tire and have a 2.5" JKS JSPEC lift. Regarding the Fox 2.0 shocks: these might be perfect for your setup because you're heavier with the hard top and gobi rack, but the Fox were too firm for me (soft top, JCR Crusader front bumper, no winch) as a DD on our potholed and frost-lined roads in Wisconsin. Just something for you to consider.

I ended up swapping out the Fox 2.0 for Falcon 3.3 adjustable shocks, which now give me a great ride on our rough roads, as well as the means to adjust when I put back the hard top and other weight. So you might consider an adjustable shock.

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
The 285/75-17 will rub without bump stops added when you go offroad. And if you add bump stops without changing out shocks, you will lose suspension travel. So, a 2.5 which will have longer shocks and the appropriate bump stops is an option, or if you really like how it rides and drives now, the flats are a great option too...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.50 with 4.75 inch backspacing on my stock Recon suspension with factory fenders.

I currently have my soft top on, but I also have RSE sliders (200 pounds of steel) and Tuffy security trunk for more weight in the back, so the rig is pretty heavy as is.

I only get rub onroad with deep potholes, but I get pretty good rub with body roll just messing around on our property. I wouldn't think of offroading it like this. I have the TF 2/1 leveling kit and PS flat fenders to go on. I like the idea of a low COG, but wanted to add the leveling kit to make back some height after the weight.

If you like the ride and handling now, go with the flats.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.50 with 4.75 inch backspacing on my stock Recon suspension with factory fenders.

I currently have my soft top on, but I also have RSE sliders (200 pounds of steel) and Tuffy security trunk for more weight in the back, so the rig is pretty heavy as is.

I only get rub onroad with deep potholes, but I get pretty good rub with body roll just messing around on our property. I wouldn't think of offroading it like this. I have the TF 2/1 leveling kit and PS flat fenders to go on. I like the idea of a low COG, but wanted to add the leveling kit to make back some height after the weight.

If you like the ride and handling now, go with the flats.

So your rubbing with factory fenders at factory height or rubbing the rse fenders at stock height? Kind of confusing reading through it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So your rubbing with factory fenders at factory height or rubbing the rse fenders at stock height? Kind of confusing reading through it.

Sorry. I'm rubbing the stock fenders. The Recon has s 1/2 more lift than the standard Rubicon, but I have a bunch of extra weight on the rig. The PS flats will take care of that for me.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I will make my story short. I have had these setups:
285s & 1.5" spacers
then TF 2.5" lift
then 4.5" bs
and through all that I was popping rear fenders until the flats.
Now with 35s I still don't have any problem. The MCEs that I run, can take 37s and still not hit. BUT flats, def in my case, act like dumbo ears. With the winds around here, it gets "fun". And with the lack of a front lip, crap goes flying onto the windshield.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will make my story short. I have had these setups:
285s & 1.5" spacers
then TF 2.5" lift
then 4.5" bs
and through all that I was popping rear fenders until the flats.
Now with 35s I still don't have any problem. The MCEs that I run, can take 37s and still not hit. BUT flats, def in my case, act like dumbo ears. With the winds around here, it gets "fun". And with the lack of a front lip, crap goes flying onto the windshield.

What kind of drive feel change did you have going from the spacers to the 2.5?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts