Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all. I just bought a 15 jku sport with the 24s package. I would like to put better rims, larger tires , and maybe a lift. At what tire size/lift, will I start see a major impact on ride and towing?

I don't mind a little change, but since this is my daily driver and will tow some, I don't want to sacrifice too much.

I do have 3.73s and will not be doing any hardcore off-road, just hunting and fishing. I just want a better stance and look.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Agreed, anything larger than that with 3.73 you will see power loss especially when towing
as for lift a simple spacer lift (rancho 2" seems to be popular) will do the trick without messing with handling & steering much

·
Administrator
17,013 Posts
Morning all. I just bought a 15 jku sport with the 24s package. I would like to put better rims, larger tires , and maybe a lift. At what tire size/lift, will I start see a major impact on ride and towing?

I don't mind a little change, but since this is my daily driver and will tow some, I don't want to sacrifice too much.

I do have 3.73s and will not be doing any hardcore off-road, just hunting and fishing. I just want a better stance and look.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

James
Great questions.

Based on my experiences I would say any increase in tire size will change the way your Jeep tows.

I had 3.73 Jeep and now a 4.10 Jeep which I lifted and went 37's. My gear ratio is now an effective 3.55 ratio. Not happy at all with how it tows.

If you upgrade your tires with 3.73 gears your effective ratios will be:
33" = 3.62
34" = 3.52
35" = 3.41
37" = 3.23

33's and a 2" lift would probably be OK. Hopefully someone with that combo can chime in.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 3.73's I went with teraflex 2.5 in lift and 33" by 12.5 tires. Rides as good if not a little better than stock on the road. You will notice a little lack of power. Not towing it's not bad however towing a trailer will depend on weight and just how much power loss you can stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts