Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Why? Stock tires need zero lift.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Affirmative @jawest12 Not going to attempt anything above 2'' but struggling with either lifting now or soon. Then purchase the wheels and tires later or get the wheels tires now then coils later.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a stock '05 Rubicon (TJ) with 245s and did a 2.5" OME leveling lift kit. Put new Cooper Discoverer AT3s on and am going to run with that for a while. Primary purpose was 1) leveling, 2) heavier duty shocks as I have a Smittybilt XRC bumper and winch on the front end, putting a Barricade bumper with swing-away tire carrier and Rock Hard cargo basket on the back.

Maybe later 285s, but probably not 315s. In the meantime, love the gas mileage (all things considered) and love the ride between the new coils, shocks and tires.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Right.. just a warning to.. adding this before the wheels/tires would make it unstable and more prone to roll over. Just take your time on those curves.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Right.. just a warning to.. adding this before the wheels/tires would make it unstable and more prone to roll over. Just take your time on those curves.
I just don't think this is any more so than any other lifted jeep. Maybe if he was talking about putting on an 8 inch lift

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One possibility is because the person has the money to buy a lift, but not tires/wheels yet. It's a common struggle. Which to do first, tires/wheels, or lift. They would be looking for pictures to see how it looks until such time as they can afford the other stuff.
exactly the case

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran a 3 inch lift on my JKU Rubicon with stock mud tires and 1.5 inch wheel spacers and honestly, it didn't look bad. The spacers made all the difference. I ran it that way for about 8 months before installing 35s on the stock wheels. I can dig up some photos later if that'd be of any help.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had the lift done about 18 months ago and the tires are finally getting to the point of needing replacing. 60K on them. About another 10K and they will be replaced. Early fall.
Which lift?

Edit . Never mind. Saw it in your post title.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So should I just go with tires first?
No.

If you get larger tires that need a lift to fit, you will have tire rub issues without the lift. So if you can't put them on your ride, they sit in your garage. They then become subject to cases of the sits. Buy your new tires last. Also, tires have a limited shelf life of 5 to no more than 10 years. That super rare Porsche Carrera GT Paul Walker died in? 9 year old tires. There is a molded number on tires that is a 4 digit week and year (5216 would be week 52 of 2016).

What I suggest is do research and find a lift that you like and know what kind of tires and rims will fit with it. Then start saving money. As you see deals pop up here and there, buy the lift and rims once you see a price you can live with. Then install the lift and get tires.

/herb

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a stock '05 Rubicon (TJ) with 245s and did a 2.5" OME leveling lift kit. Put new Cooper Discoverer AT3s on and am going to run with that for a while. Primary purpose was 1) leveling, 2) heavier duty shocks as I have a Smittybilt XRC bumper and winch on the front end, putting a Barricade bumper with swing-away tire carrier and Rock Hard cargo basket on the back.

Maybe later 285s, but probably not 315s. In the meantime, love the gas mileage (all things considered) and love the ride between the new coils, shocks and tires.
One thing I noticed with stock tires on the Rubicon TJs is that the speedo is off a bit. The dial will say 60 and my GPS will say something less. Upping to 33 inch tires had the opposite effect, so somewhere between 31 and 33 is accurate.

/herb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There have been a few threads with this very question.

I ran my stockers for quite a while before upgrading the tires and wheels.

Here's mine with a 2.5 TF lift and the stock tires / wheels - with 1.5" spacers.

That looks great. I ordered a 2.5 inch rubicon express lift with fox shocks. I might get spacers also. Thanks for the pic

·
Registered
14 Posts
There have been a few threads with this very question.

I ran my stockers for quite a while before upgrading the tires and wheels.

Here's mine with a 2.5 TF lift and the stock tires / wheels - with 1.5" spacers.

Have seen a few of your posts with your ride in this setup. I absolutely love it.

Just got a white JKUR with black top a couple weeks ago. Pricing 2" and 2.5" lifts now. I'm struggling with whether to add the spacers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts