Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Question for you all. Depending on what you read, watch, research etc, I can't find a definitive answer if I decide on 35's and the NEED to regear. I've seen that putting 37's on is a must for a regear. What is everyone's thoughts on putting on 35's? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Changing tire size from the original will affect performance. To bring the performance back to original, the jeep should be regeared. Only you can deiced if the decreased performance is enough that you must regear. My 13 Rubicon had the 4.10 gears and I ran it 1 year with 35s. It was definitely drive-able around town and with the 4.1 transfer case, it still did well off road. I just changed to 4.88s and performance is back. What are your stock gears now?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think for most, it's a question of available funds. New tires (and wheels?) are a huge chunk of change, as is regearing (if not able to do yourself: expensive).

These are probably the two most expensive mods done, outside of the engine. Most, I think, go Doc's route, get the bigger rubber first, see how drivable it is, then, if not doing already, start saving for the regear, also the perfect time to throw in lockers if not had already.
One thing I've learned over the years is don't lie to yourself in convincing yourself a mod/upgrade is warranted (i.e. I never have nor do I see myself ever doing any serious rock crawling.........but I MIGHT...so I better spend a bunch of money preparing for it. 99.99% of the time you're not going to do it and I end up regretting the money not being put towards better use.)
Good luck, and if you've got 3.73's (tow package guarantees it) I think you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm going to do also. Step by step

1 - 4 of 4 Posts