Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed quite a few "complete" mild lift kits on the market that do not include anything much more than spacers or springs and shocks. If I lift my TJ less than 2", is it necessary to lower the T-case, mod steering, add longer brake lines, etc?

·
Registered
404 Posts
With a 2" lift you do not usually need to drop the transfer case skid, change the track bars, or change the brake lines. The factory steering is fine for up to 4" lift.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are doing less than 2" no. But every jeep is different so you'll have to pay attention to driveline vibrations. I went to 2.5" before I need a transfer case drop. 3.5" and I absolutely needed one. Some are good till 3" some 2".

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
For a 2" lift, the important thing is to have 4 bump stop extensions. Many will stick with stock shocks and swaybar links to keep cost down, but it is better to have the proper length shocks and links.

"If" you have to drop the TranferCase due to vibrations, it will be very minimal...like maybe less than a 1/4". But it is pretty rare that a 2" lift will need it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ran my 2.5" lift with stock bumpstop and correct length shocks and never had issues with bottoming out or hitting steering with the track bar and the track bar never hit the diff cover. Every jeep is different. Flex yours and see what you need. Pay attention to vibrations and go with new u-joints before dropping the transfer case. Also, dropping the transfer case is no longer the only option to fix driveline vibrations. You can do like a lot of jeepers, myself included, and swap your transmission mount with the UnderCover Fab LoPro mount. It drops the transfer case into the skid plate by nearly an inch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good, thanks. Running a 2.5l- not going to use for anything more than mild trails and hunting and fishing. Gonna go with no more than 31's and 2" or so of lift. Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up going taller and re-gearing down the line. Luckily, I only have a few miles of dirt roads to get to the hills and won't be on the highway. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most guys on here will tell you that 31" fit without a lift. There isn't a whole lot of room to flex but it's doable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts