Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im new to the jeep world. I just bought a '90 yj for hunting/recreational use and i am looking for a real lift. my jeep has some pretty nasty looking(almost homemade) shackles on it and i want them off. 31'' or 32" tires are enough for me so waht lift do yall recommend? i was looking at the superlift 1.5" kit..any opinions?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright yall ive decided to go with the 3.5" kit instead because it is only about 75-100 dollars more....would yall go with a 32x11.5 or with the max of 33x12.5?

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
33x12's.

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
What gear and engine/tranny do you have now? I would see how you like it then decide if you need to spend the $$$ on it.

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
You might be okay. I had 3.73's in my TJ with the 6 and 5spd did okay.. I am not sure I think you might have higher gears ( lower number) , drive it and see what you think. 4.11's would work well with the 33's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your axles still have the stock gears in them, look at the diff cover and see if there is a small metal tag on the bolts. If there is it will have your gear ratio on it.

You said that this vehicle is for hunting/recreation use and not a daily driver.
What type of terrain will you be hunting and recreating in?
Big rocks, deep sand, mud or just dirt roads?
This is a big factor in deciding if you need to lower your gears. (I had 3.07 stock)
I was running 4.56 with my 33's. That was perfect for rockcrawling in California and Arizona. It was also my daily driver. For sand and mud you might want something higher like 4.11. If you are going to change the gears you might as well install a locker. (You may need to replace a carrier anyway to get taller gears in that D30)
The height of your lift is to provide clearance for your tires.
The size of your tires provides ground clearance under your vehicle. In my opinion you want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, but just high enough to clear what ever obsticals are in your path. So we are back to where are you going to use it. The tire size between 31, 32 & 33 is also determined by a few things: Provide clearance under your axle, (Main reason) looks, (Mall crawler) and price. The bigger the tire, the bigger the dent in the wallet. (MT's are soft and wear out fast)

Bottom line:
1. The ground clearance you need to get over the terrain you plan on traversing should determine your tire size.
2. The height you need to clear your tires at full droop should determine your lift size.
3. Tire size and terrain will determine your needed gear ratio.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in south louisiana so we dont have many rocks, its all mud. im definintly putting the superlift 3.5" kit on it and ill go with 33's. im thinking about mud king xt's. i have a 2002 Z71 so the jeep is just something to mudride in so i dont tear up my truck. we hunt in mississippi so im sure itll just be muddy roads and a few ditchs there...i wont be doing any rock climbing....haha gas mileage doesnt really mean much to me either!

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You should be fine with your stock gears. You will most likely notice a decrease in "seat of the pants" performance feel, but it should do what you want it to. You can always upgrade the gears later. Most of us have to do it that way anyway because we can't afford to do it all at once.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i wheel mine with 307's and 33's not great crawl but it gets the job done

1 - 20 of 27 Posts