Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

I have an 02 Wrangler with oversized tires but no lift on it. I really don't know anything about lifts and I would like to take it in to get a lift on it. I do a lot of commuter driving to work so I don't want something drastic that is going to kill my gas mileage. How much of a lift would you recommend? How much will this cost me?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
what size tires are you running or do you want to run? for 31's or 32's i'd say a 2" would be good so i'd say go with a BB. a BB is a "budget boost" and it consists of spacers that slide over the coils along with extended bumpstops and new shocks. they are really really cheap and will give you enough lift for 31's or 32's and you should keep a pretty good ride and have something that would be fine on the road.

tires kill the gas mileage more than anything. the lift is just gonna make it slightly less aerodynamic but it will be a very small drop in MPG if at all.

i went with a 2" coil lift over the BB for a couple reasons but a BB may be fine for you

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you drive mainly on road then you could do a Budget boost pretty cheap. There are many options out there. Best bet would be do a search on here and pick up a few catalogs so you can check out what everone offers and find what works for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use my Wrangler as a daily driver and long trips. I have 32" tires and the 2" skyjacker spacer lift which I bought at quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_108.htm
I had it installed by a local mechanic for about $170.
I love it and have not noticed major differences in gas mileage compared to when it has all stock stuff.
:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd consider an Old Man Emu lift too, if you want the best ride quality. It costs a little more, but the ride and handling is legendary.

Also, the more you lift your jeep, the more you'll affect the geometry of the suspension, steering and drivetrain.
Adjustable trackbars and other components can restore a nice working balance and perfectly re-center your axles under the jeep after a lift, but the more you get it right, the more it costs.

I'd decide on the exact tire size you wanna run and design your suspension and other geometry around that. The smaller the tire size, the less lift you can run. The less lift you run, the less components you need to get it right...;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tires I have on my Jeep now are the ones I am going to keep for a while....they are 31" BF Goodrich.....does that help any?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
If you are running 31's and you just want a bit more height then doing a spring spacer lift of 2" or a 1" BL would probably give you exactly what you are looking for. The spacer lift is what most call a Budget Boost. That gives you Spacers/Shocks or Shock extensions/and some will give you new sway bar links. You can get those pretty cheap for under 300 bucks most of the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you aren't carrying a bunch of extra weight like heavier bumpers, winch, skidplates, etc, the spacer lift will work well.

Do yourself a favor though- If you want a good ride, don't buy the SJ shocks! Get a BB kit with some Old Man Emu shocks.
You'll be glad you did... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts