Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to either get a leaf added and leafs rearched or for now 1"shackles and then leafs rearched. Also going 1"bl. For shackles should I get greasable ones or and I just bought new shocks and they say their good for 0-1.5" of lift are they ok or should I get new ones

·
Registered
853 Posts
are you planning to lift it up more later? If so, I'd rather buy braided extended brake lines instead of shackles. Just my .02 :D
In any case, I'm in the same boat right now but I'm doing a 1" body, 2.5-3" suspension and I'm done after that. I will start with a body lift and will proceed to suspension lift as funds and time allows. Body lift will take care of clearing up my 31's along with trimmed flares to take care of immediate issues. In any case, right after body lift I'm putting extended braided lines in for future lift. Any transitional modifications that require money do look like waist of funds that you can use for something useful. But as I just said, it's just my .02

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I have 31s that I'm trying to clear to what are you trimming the flares for and how much any pics would be good when you get the bl done

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Personally, I would not want to do a re-arching of the leaves. You are taking old worn springs and rebending them back to the original shape. To me, it seems that the springs are already fatigued and rearching them will not keep the arch very long.

I ran 31s with no lift at all for several months and did not really have a problem. I did get the ocassional fender rub, but it was nothing that was of real concearn to me. This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck with your build.

Jeff

·
Registered
853 Posts
Here is how it's sitting on 31's with standard flares (notice, springs are almost flat)

and here are the flares (I just trimmed them but they're still in my garage, too damn cold to play with them outside :D)

OEM version

trimmed version

... and here is what's been used to trim it :)

Have fun :D At least these will stay with you for a while without any more tinkering and still look good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I've been rubing with my 31s and with the hard top on they rub on rear flares so I either have to get new leafs or get them rearched plus I need a little more clearance for them so I have some axel articulation because I joined my local jeep club and they said I will be fine with them as long as they have some clearance. I need about as much as a set of 30s

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic I took in summer with my 31s
It's a bad pic I know but it's winter and there's some snow now (last couple of days it was 8-10*C so lots melted) and I have my snows on (found a pile of snow and tested the flex door sill was at my waist and I'm 5'9)

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
do you have any body lift? if not a 1" will help to get that clearance plus the trim on the flares. I'm getting the body lift first because half of the bushings are busted and it is substantially cheaper than suspension kit so if money is an issue of some sort it might be a better solution. In any case, i would change those lines instead of putting longer shackles judging by what I have heard so far about doing a shackle lift (I'll try to find the thread to point at re: those shackle lifts).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
60mg said:
Here is how it's sitting on 31's with standard flares (notice, springs are almost flat)

and here are the flares (I just trimmed them but they're still in my garage, too damn cold to play with them outside :D)

OEM version

trimmed version

... and here is what's been used to trim it :)

Have fun :D At least these will stay with you for a while without any more tinkering and still look good.
Look sweet can't wait to see them on What's the black on the side of the tub for

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60mg said:
do you have any body lift? if not a 1" will help to get that clearance plus the trim on the flares. I'm getting the body lift first because half of the bushings are busted and it is substantially cheaper than suspension kit so if money is an issue of some sort it might be a better solution. In any case, i would change those lines instead of putting longer shackles judging by what I have heard so far about doing a shackle lift (I'll try to find the thread to point at re: those shackle lifts).
No I don't I'm ordering one soon because body mounts are almost done so I figure I'll do that at the same time and all I am getting is a 1" bl so far the suspension can wait for a bit till I get more money

·
Registered
853 Posts
was working on some rust but winter came :D so I just primed it for the crappy season and put rubberized undercoat underneath to seal it till next time I'm in the area :) which hopefully is not that far

·
Registered
853 Posts
No I don't I'm ordering one soon because body mounts are almost done so I figure I'll do that at the same time and all I am getting is a 1" bl so far the suspension can wait for a bit till I get more money
So there is your clearance, just don't do nothing crazy till the suspension kit is in.

·
Registered
853 Posts
yep, it's in one of the the pictures

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't see it at first. How far away would you say you trimmed from the little lip

·
Registered
853 Posts
I kept a 1/4" of the original lip width.

·
Registered
853 Posts
no, too damn cold to work on the driveway and I just started cleaning up my garage. Might be a couple of days. I'll post before and after pix with closeups as soon as I'm done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts