Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 Wrangler Sport automatic. The dealership I bought it from had a 3 inch suspension lift put on it with 33''s. I bought it and had trouble getting it to stay in or go in 4wd. Linkage needed to be adjusted. They had me bring it back for them to adjust the linkage. Now it will go in 4 high and stay, but 4 low is a pain to get it in and it will pop out of that sometimes. They were close but it's a tad off I believe. I want to adjust it myself. Will some one post a picture of which cable to adjust and tell me which way to turn it to loosen it up? The dealership guys reached in and turned it without taking the transmission protective plate off. I should be able to do it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is there a body lift or transfer case drop? What cable were they adjusting? Reason I ask is there shouldn't be a cable there for the transfer case linkage unless it has a Novak or similar brand aftermarket shifter. OE is rods and a pivot. .

I'm somewhat concerned that it wouldn't go into 4hi without them adjusting it...what did they do under there?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
It could be that they installed a t-case drop kit, but didn't install a drop bracket for the shifter. Take a picture of the frame rail where the skid bolts up, and a picture from the back over the top of the skid of the bottom of the shifter bracket that is bolted to the tunnel....Then post them up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they did exactly what the guys in those videos did. I'll check on it when I get home from work. Thanks for the quick response and the video. I used 4 high last night and played in a lot of mud. Never did 4 low because of the trouble I had with it right after they adjusted it Saturday. I did get 4 low to work on it Saturday and it finally stayed, but it was hard getting it to that point. I tested it at the dealership before leaving and it worked there after wrestling with it. I figured it was good enough but after yesterday, I decided it has to be perfect. Also after I finished mudding and had that black mud stuck all up underneath the jeep. One of the lights flashed several times and then went off. It wasn't the check engine light, the owners manual had it labeled as the ODII light or something like that. I figured t was from all of that mud crammed between the Transmission and the Protective plate. It went off on it's own and never ran bad. All of the gauges were right where they have been since I bought it Thursday night. It runs at 210 degrees and I know for sure that the heater core is going out. Sorry for throwing all my symptoms on one visit. LOL I'm bad about doing that to my Doctor as well. Thanks again though, I feel more confident about it being easy.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think they did exactly what the guys in those videos did. I'll check on it when I get home from work. Thanks for the quick response and the video. I used 4 high last night and played in a lot of mud. Never did 4 low because of the trouble I had with it right after they adjusted it Saturday. I did get 4 low to work on it Saturday and it finally stayed, but it was hard getting it to that point. I tested it at the dealership before leaving and it worked there after wrestling with it. I figured it was good enough but after yesterday, I decided it has to be perfect. Also after I finished mudding and had that black mud stuck all up underneath the jeep. One of the lights flashed several times and then went off. It wasn't the check engine light, the owners manual had it labeled as the ODII light or something like that. I figured t was from all of that mud crammed between the Transmission and the Protective plate. It went off on it's own and never ran bad. All of the gauges were right where they have been since I bought it Thursday night. It runs at 210 degrees and I know for sure that the heater core is going out. Sorry for throwing all my symptoms on one visit. LOL I'm bad about doing that to my Doctor as well. Thanks again though, I feel more confident about it being easy.
Since you have an automatic. Were you putting the Transmission in Neutral before shifting into 4L? Your transmission must be in Neutral in order for you to shift.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an issue like that and it turned out to be a bent rod. Took it off and straightened and put it back; cleared that issue up. I will eventually drop a Novak in it to remove that crappy set up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you have an automatic. Were you putting the Transmission in Neutral before shifting into 4L? Your transmission must be in Neutral in order for you to shift.
Yes I had it in Neutral. The same dealership had two jeeps for sale that they had put brand new lift kits in. I went to buy the 6 speed with a smaller lift. I test drove it and checked the 4wd. It did the same thing but worse. They said it was a linkage problem and swore to fix it up to a brand new transmission if I would buy it. I agreed but in the middle of it changed my mind to the one that I have. Didn't test it until after I bought it and saw the it was the same thing. So I let them fix it and I settled with their work. I really believed that they skipped a step because they did both at once. I"ll check it out tonight. I don't want to go back to the dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to update on this, it now,t has the oem rod and pivot linkage. We were able to get it perfect. I am wanting to put a 2 inch body lift on it now. Will I have to readjust it when I do the body lift? There's not any more room to adjust, so I would have to buy the ater market cable linkage if I have to adjust.it at all. Thanks for the help though. That video made it perfest for now.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I forgot to update on this, it now,t has the oem rod and pivot linkage. We were able to get it perfect. I am wanting to put a 2 inch body lift on it now. Will I have to readjust it when I do the body lift? There's not any more room to adjust, so I would have to buy the ater market cable linkage if I have to adjust.it at all. Thanks for the help though. That video made it perfest for now.
I suggest you don't put over a 1.25" body lift on your Jeep. Anything over that puts undue strain on the mounts. If you want to go higher, couple it with a small suspension lift.....and yes, a body lift can have an effect on the t-case shift linkage. A Novak (or Savvy) shift cable would eliminate all of that.
Shifters
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x/sk2xc/

·
Registered
615 Posts
I put in a Novak shift cable and love it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts