Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious to know if once you lift your vehicle, can you still change a tire with the stock jack.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, that was easy. thanks.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
wait.......why is Frank laying so still and I only see his legs???;)

JK :D

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i should maybe get a second opinion:D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
the lift will have nothing to do with it. it will be the tire size because you jack at the axle so it won't matter how tall the jeep is, just how tall the tires are because the taller the tire the farther up the axle is. a stock jack lifts up my 32's plenty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The stock jack should be fine for lifting from the axel. Personally I like the security of being able to lift from my frame also. When I did my lift I grabbed a jack out of an older Suburban, little taller and I got it free from a friend. A while later I went Jeep’n by myself (stupid I know) and I hi-centered my front diff on a log. I couldn’t get the jack under the axel because of the tree, so I was forced to lift from my frame. Good thing I had the larger jack…This close call scared me a little, so on my way home I bought a Hi-Lift :)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
The stock jack should be fine for lifting from the axel. Personally I like the security of being able to lift from my frame also. When I did my lift I grabbed a jack out of an older Suburban, little taller and I got it free from a friend. A while later I went Jeep’n by myself (stupid I know) and I hi-centered my front diff on a log. I couldn’t get the jack under the axel because of the tree, so I was forced to lift from my frame. Good thing I had the larger jack…This close call scared me a little, so on my way home I bought a Hi-Lift :)
Bingo Rio, that's why I always carry the stock bottle jack and my hi-lift with me for wheeling. Street driving the bottle jack is fine because I can still lift a tire from the diff or the the control arms. Even with 35's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry two blocks of wood (2x10x10) to put the bottle jack on. Not only does it raise the jack but it makes it more stable.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My Jeep came to me without the stock jack, so I went to a chain auto parts store and bought the bottle jack with the highest lift rating (18"), it was just barely enough to get my 33's off the flat cement driveway. I would hate to be on uneven ground and have to rely on it. I returned it the next day. Didn't think of blocks or extensions at the time because I don't want to carry extra parts.
I like the idea of getting a higher lifting stock jack from another vehicle that would sit higher, I'll have to look into that.
Currently am using a old, custom built, hi-lift style jack that I inherited.
Do the stock Jeep jacks lift more than 18 ", maybe I should just invest in one .

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Do the stock Jeep jacks lift more than 18 ", maybe I should just invest in one .
I have never measured mine. But my stock jack has no problem at all lifting my 33's off the ground. With plenty of clearance and it has more to go when I stop jacking. I will measure it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Before I lifted with the jack, I measured ground to axle housing and got about 14 ". I'm new to Jeeps, maybe I'm not using the best location for jack placement to lift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts