Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I'm about to purchase my first Jeep Wrangler. I test drove one last week that I heard a ticking coming from the enginer - mostly on the driver's side. I actually bought the Jeep - a 2014 Sahara w 65k miles - but the sale was contingent on the ticking noise. Turns out it is likely either the Cam and/or Lifters. I have the option to cancel the sale because of this issue. I've done a lot of research into this and it sounds like t is not a huge concern. However, I'm concerned that if the previous owner drove the Jeep with the ticking noise for a long time, there could be more substantial engine issues.

Is this a common issue? Should I be concerned about it, if the dealer is willing to fix it for free? I'm totally fine cancelling the purchase completely, but I don't want to lose out on this one if it isn't a big problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey there! I'm about to purchase my first Jeep Wrangler. I test drove one last week that I heard a ticking coming from the enginer - mostly on the driver's side. I actually bought the Jeep - a 2014 Sahara w 65k miles - but the sale was contingent on the ticking noise. Turns out it is likely either the Cam and/or Lifters. I have the option to cancel the sale because of this issue. I've done a lot of research into this and it sounds like t is not a huge concern. However, I'm concerned that if the previous owner drove the Jeep with the ticking noise for a long time, there could be more substantial engine issues.

Is this a common issue? Should I be concerned about it, if the dealer is willing to fix it for free? I'm totally fine cancelling the purchase completely, but I don't want to lose out on this one if it isn't a big problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, very common. The rockers and lifters are a problem. If you don’t catch it early and fix the problem it will take out the cams. Sadly it’s widespread so if you really want the rig have them fix it with a warranty. And when I say fix it I mean they need to replace all the rockers and lifters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.