Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 4.0 What is a realistic time frame for lifter / head gasket replacement? Will also replace water pump, all hoses and radiator.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
On a 4.0 What is a realistic time frame for lifter / head gasket replacement? Will also replace water pump, all hoses and radiator.
There's really no time limit on these parts, you can replace them when they start to fail. You can tell when your head-gasket is going bad when you start to lose coolant and your oil has a milky residue. If your lifters are ticking, that's normal for the Jeeps. Mine have been ticking for the past 80,000 miles and the engine is still running strong. But like you said if you're gonna replace the head-gasket you might as well do them while they're accessible.

The hoses can be replaced when they become brittle and dried out. You can do the water pump too while the head is off. I don't think the radiator will be necessary to replace unless you think you have a problem with it. I still have the original and have 210,000 miles on the engine. As long as you are flushing and replenishing the coolant system as scheduled, the radiator shouldn't be damaged.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
depends on your knowledge and have all the tools,etc. on hand that you need. I would say a good,long ,hard day at the least. a weekend would be better ( it could be done faster but I prefer getting everything cleaned and inspected thoroughly so it's perfect the first time)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought of just getting a whole new head to streamline it. 2 days max is doable. I always hate starting these jobs since it's always the small things that hold up the process.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If you know what your doing and don't have to run to town for something, then it's a hole days work. I pulled my head and cleaned it up one after noon, got a new gasket and put it together the next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts