Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i know the 4.0 is a super noisy engine anyway. But after my tj sits for a few hours and I start it up, it has some really, really loud lifter tapping sounds. It's to the point that even I feel like it's outside the "normal" realm..

I tried searching around and found a few posts about it being fairly normal, but this is pretty damn loud!!

If I start it up and take off, it'll make the noises for a good 2 miles at 30 or so MPH.

What do y'all think?? Am I being too paranoid?

btw, it's an 04 4.0 5spd with 69,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my '04 tj with 108k has sporadic tappet noise; not when I start it up necessarily but when I stop for a red light it might start clicking away.
Didn't use to worry about it, since "gauge" showed plenty of oil pressure, but suddenly somewhat uneasy reading previous post about the oil pressure gauge is not really a guage but an idiot light masking as a gauge.
I regard this as 'dishonest' to put a fake gauge in the instrument cluster. How would you like a gas guage that just registered "full" or 'empty"? (No wonder why my gas gauge goes down so quickly)

simonmeridew

·
Registered
341 Posts
Change your oil and filter. Before you drop the oil, run some cleaner in your oil (ie 5 minute engine cleaner, Sea Foam, etc). You may want to consider going to full synethic oil if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You likely have a problem that needs to be addressed mechanically, but try this. Helped for me.

Toss in a can of Seafoam and drive it for a little while. Drain the oil and replace. There are a lot of options. I would use Valvoline Synthetic blend. This oil has higher levels of zinc/phos. don't top the oil off completly. Leave it a half quart short or so. See if the "tapping" gets better.

If it sounds OK, top-off the oil. Otherwise, add Marvels Mystery oil or something like it that has zinc. DONT ADD ANY TEFLON. It will likely get a lot quieter. If not, you need engine work or will just have to deal with it.

The additive should state ZDDP.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did notice that when I turn the jeep off and immediately get out and pop the hood, I can hear what I assume is oil draining out of the head and/or filter. Has the exact same sound as when you're draining the oil into a drain pan for changing. So evidently the head is draining and taking a little while to get oil back up to the lifters upon startup. Thoughts??

And yes I did check the oil, level was good and it was still very light (PO just had the oil changed last Tuesday/Wednesday). This leads me to another point, I didn't notice the tapping when I went on a test drive but noticed it the day I picked it up after I had it home for a few hours and then got back in it. Could the service place have put in the wrong oil?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a tapping/clicking sound for a long time. Figured it was the lifters. Finally had my mechanic locate the sound. I do not know the technical name, but it is a cam shaft senor/spinning thing. The spinning part was worn and knocking about in the housing. It is a gray topped deal on the passenger side, at least on my '02.

Had it replaced with OEM and the noise is long gone.

FWIW, the noise would only be evident when the engine warmed up,,,definite click click click click sound

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 06 does this too. I'm not sure what it is but I've stopped worrying about it :(

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I had a tapping/clicking sound for a long time. Figured it was the lifters. Finally had my mechanic locate the sound. I do not know the technical name, but it is a cam shaft senor/spinning thing. The spinning part was worn and knocking about in the housing. It is a gray topped deal on the passenger side, at least on my '02.

Had it replaced with OEM and the noise is long gone.

FWIW, the noise would only be evident when the engine warmed up,,,definite click click click click sound
That grey thing is your OPDA.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My 06 does this too. I'm not sure what it is but I've stopped worrying about it :(
If you mean the lifters tap, ok. If you mean your OPDA like above, I would worry. New motors are pricey....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would stick with 10 30. Too thin and it runs back down. Too thick an it won't pump right.

You should try some zinc phosphate additive. That is what it is designed for.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I-Want-A-Jeep said:
So should I be trying to go a little thicker or a little thinner on the oil? Any suggestions on filters?
Just curious on your lifter noise, have you pulled the valve cover and checked the rockers and pushrods? If it stays pretty noisy even when warmed up and the lifters should be fully pumped up its possible a rocker is loose or a pushrod is slightly bent.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So it quiets down after driving for a little while? Could be a few collapsed lifters, or just sticky lifters. They compress and stick like that until the oil warms up and then they loosen up and quiet down. Try replacing the lifters. Its nothing really serious, but its something you should do as soon as you have the time for it. Probably the worst thing that would happen is it could bend a pushrod and you would have to replace those too, but you might wanna do that anyway while you have it apart.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the noise goes away as soon as everything gets warmed up a little (usually takes 3 minutes or something). This is why I was thinking about oil being a factor.

I haven't pulled the valve cover as I've only had the Jeep for a little over a week. I'd like to explore other options before going that route.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would stick with 10 30. Too thin and it runs back down. Too thick an it won't pump right.

You should try some zinc phosphate additive. That is what it is designed for.

More info on the Zinc Phosphate additive? Any brand names? I looked at Wal-Mart and only saw one oil additive that said anything about ZDDP and it wasn't even stating it contained any really.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts