Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sounds like my lifter or lifters are knocking? is it a hard fix? is it something i have to do yesterday or can i wait till next pay day?? thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a tick tick tick faster when you rev the engine stops after it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
698 Posts
put in some oil, or change your oil and put in some 10-40 or something a little heavier. might quiet it down a bit.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
If it's not a super loud tick...it may be completely normal for the engine. I've heard most Jeeps develop a noticeable lifter/valve tick at around 75k miles...mine was no exception. Now if it's a loud tap tap tap...that's not so normal. lol

I actually had a guy come up to me the other day and go, "Is this the 4.0?" I said, "Yeah..." and he goes, "That is the SMOOTHEST running 4.0 I've ever heard!" ... to which I just replied, "You caught it on a good day." haha

·
Registered
698 Posts
yanno it could be an exhaust leak too
x2. seeing as it goes away when it warms up you might have a exhaust leak. I'm dealing with a minor one now that's loud when the motor is cold but goes away as soon as it warms up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
checked the oil perfect amount. a little dirty but not "burnt". is 10 40 going to be ok for the winter coming up. it gets about 20f here in the winter as a high.

·
Registered
698 Posts
if your oil is at a good level i'd bet it is an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My bet is on a cracked exhaust manifold

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same sound in my 03 wrangler 4.0 and it is coming from the crank shaft position sensor on the passenger side of the engine block?

To narrow down where the sound is coming from use a Dowl rod an press it against your jawbone... You should be able to pinpoint the exact location of the sound.

That sensor is the round grey one with a 3 wire plug

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If it sounds like it's several lifters making noise, check the oil pressure - and smell the oil - an injector could be leaking and diluting the oil.

The crankshaft position sensor is at the back of the engine on the top of the bellhousing. The cam position sensor is on the side of the block where the distributor used to be - or under the distributor on some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts