Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i've been a member of the forum ever sence i got my YJ its a 95 -2.5 it's also my first jeep and i love it . i have had it a little over a month and seems like i have bought a lot of engine probs along with it . i like to do my on work on it so my issue now is changing the lifters i've read a lot of post about lifters but no wright ups on how to change them if there is one in the forum could someone direct me to it or explain how to change them. it would be very helpfull thx in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
why would you need to change them? Are they broken or not lifting properly? Details as to why you want to change them would go a long ways

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The 2.5 is notorious for valve train noise and it is usuaally combined wear on lifters, push rods and rocker arms to include the contact area on the valve stem. Many have run the 2.5 in excess of 250K miles without any valve or lifter issues. If you belive they are noisy then on your next oil change substitute a quart of oil for some ATF and run for 500-1000 miles and change again. The detergent in the ATF will free up aanything and it could reduce the noise quite a lot. You can remove the valve cover and hand clean the area also but use a shop vac so it doesn't end up in the pan.

While the valve cover is off you can rotate the engine and check for wear but unless there is a specific problem you may not need new lifters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the miles are unknown on the engine and i replaced the timing chain cause it had the chain slap noise from the tinsioner being wore out, solved that noise and made it to where u could hear a new ticking sound at the rear of the motor fairly loud that was covered by the timming chain noise.pretty sure not the manifold and it quitens down when it warms up oil pressure stays above 40 psi also replaced the rod berrings cause 1 was scared nochange to the sound also had the vaulves adjusted so pretty much leaves lifters i have heard of useing a magnet the get them out but not sure if the head has to come off or just the rocker arms

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You need a special tool to get them out, they're not as magnetic as you think. I replaced them all recently including rocker arms and rods, just be sure you torque them down in sequence at TDC.

It's imperative that you use the tool, it grabs them from the inside cone, if you use a magnet and drop them on the way in or out, you'll scratch them up and have a difficult time getting them out of the valley. You also need up take off the MAP sensor to get #8 out, so you can go straight down and in, any angle to it you'll snag them up. also taking off the hood makes it easier.

If you decide to do it and need help, PM me for specifics. I have pix of the tool and all and how to use it. It'll take about a 1/2 day to do it correctly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i did mine with a magnet & it took about 3 hrs. u can just lay the hood back onto the windshield. made no difference on ticking noise though. lifters were fine @ 175k. i changed timing chain with no improvement also. searched with stethoscope & 3' piece of heater hose(to ear) & still cannot pinpoint engine tick..:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts