Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am upgrading from a 2001 TJ (love it with 165,000 miles) to a 2010 Wrangler Sport 2 door tomorrow. I'm not a mechanic and looking for advice on a 4" lift so I can throw 35's under it. I have a Rough Country under the TJ and it lives up to it's name until I lowered the tire pressure and upgraded the shocks to Rancho 9000's.

Here's my questions
1. Good reasonably priced lift?
2. If I go with 4" on a JK do I need to change drive shafts? Do I need a 4" for 35's.
3. It's a 6 speed, will it push 35's ok?
4. Can I put 35's on the stock aluminum rims?
5. This death wobble issue is a concern, is it prevalent on the 2010's?

I'm trying to get a good stance on it with nice tires.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you go with a 4 inch lift, eventually you will need to replace the front shaft. I've read on this forum, a well as other forums, that some people replace the front shaft as soon as they install the lift, while others wait until the drive shaft fails. You do not need a 4 inch lift to run 35s on a jk. A 2 inch lift, with the proper wheels will also work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wanting to keep my stock wheels. So a 2" lift will allow me to run 35's? Budget lift work? Will I need to change stock shocks with only a 2"?

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you just want looks 2" with fender flares will work. Most 4" lifts are really 3.5". I haven't had to replace my front drive shaft and have 70k since lifting. 4 Drs tend to need the fronts changed. If you wheel it, go 3.5" and you'll be fine with 35's. As for your wheels? No dice. Factory back spacing won't allow it with the lifts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've been reading, the 4" lift on the base JK will actually give it 5" of lift. I live in Va Beach and wheeling here is few and far between. I did take my TJ to WV (home state) last month and do some trail riding. I'm trying to do this the best way without killing my new ride. This will be a daily driver and traveler back to WV to see my family. As for the wheels, I've seen ppl putting spacers on the factory rims and adding 35's?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
If the lift uses the same springs for 2 and 4 door (some do, some dont) you will definitely get more lift than stated - your rig isnt as heavy as a 4 door. A 2.5 inch lift should be enough.

That said, if you only wheel mild stuff, save a ton of money and stress on your rig and get a nice level kit and some 33s and roll.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Lift just enough for the size tires you want to fit. IMHO, you are asking for trouble going 4". 2.5" would be the most I would recommend avoiding the money pit you would be encouraging by going taller, especially for what your usage sounds like it would be.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
If you want to keep the cost reasonable then go with as small a lift as possible. Plenty of good suggestions have been provided above. Many 35x12.5" tires will fit on the stock 7.5" rims but it will require spacers.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
check out the links in kjeeper10's signature. pretty much every question here is answered in the stickies

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Stay with the 2.5" as mentioned. Take the additinal money in savings and get spacers or new rims. I know you said you like yours, so the choice is yours. With a 2.5" lift no front shaft replacement is required (more savings).

The Teraflex 2.5 (1351002) is a great option with either Bilstein 5100s or Rancho 9000XLs. Rock Kralwer's different flavors of 2.5" kits are fantastic and are damn beefy. They will net you 3.5" in the front and 2.5" in the rear leveling you out (all 4dr springs). Now if you do not have a fully loaded rig with aftermarket goodies and winch. You may see more. They rate their springs for fully loaded trail weight. Their springs are also progressively rated for better on street ride.

Stay away from 4" lifts. If you "must" go to a 4" lift, Currie or a Rock Kralwer 3.5" kit will do well by you.

PM me if you would like pricing on either of these, or others.

Namaste,

Allen

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi all.
I am upgrading from a 2001 TJ (love it with 165,000 miles) to a 2010 Wrangler Sport 2 door tomorrow. I'm not a mechanic and looking for advice on a 4" lift so I can throw 35's under it. I have a Rough Country under the TJ and it lives up to it's name until I lowered the tire pressure and upgraded the shocks to Rancho 9000's.

Here's my questions
1. Good reasonably priced lift?
2. If I go with 4" on a JK do I need to change drive shafts? Do I need a 4" for 35's.
3. It's a 6 speed, will it push 35's ok?
4. Can I put 35's on the stock aluminum rims?
5. This death wobble issue is a concern, is it prevalent on the 2010's?

I'm trying to get a good stance on it with nice tires.

Thank you in advance
Our 2.5" kits will get you about 3.5" of lift on a 2 door. You can fit a 35 under the 2.5" kit without any issues and still have plenty or room for articulation. Let us know if you have any questions about them and we can help steer you in the right direction! Good luck with the build!

RK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
35's are close on rear

Ok, lifted 2.5" put on 35's and I'm concerned about how close my 35's are running in the rear. There's a piece of steel with a sharp point on the body that runs the length of the body. It sits right in front of my rear tire and I'm concerned with how close it is. Any suggestions or something to ease my mind?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
What lift did you use? You are probably talking about the pinch seam. In the first pic above, the little bit of orange you see under the fenders between the two tires in back. Cut it. Newer model years come with it already trimmed from the factory but older ones didnt.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Yep trim it. I just took used a Sawsall and cut it diagonally like you said. Some will use JB weld to fill the gap between the two body panels that sandwich together. Then paint to prevent rust.
My rock rail was so close with a 37 it rubbed the tire backing out of the driveway.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts