Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I found a very large gap in my knowledge around suspension systems. I want to get my willys some more clearance, but was under the original assumption it came stock with a ~2" lift. As I look further into it, it is actually a "rubi suspension" that is giving me the extra height? Maybe the tires?

So as to my question... would a lift add to the height I get from the upgraded suspension... or is a lift itself just a higher standing suspension and would replace the rubi suspension?

So many questions :) and I wan't to make sure I get everything square before I get a chance to blow my tax return on anything else :atomic:

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
There's no such thing as a "rubi" "sport" "willy's" or "sahara" suspension. The coils are chosen for different reasons that so far have eluded the Jeep community. Speculation about hard top, towing, etc.. but nothing that can be confirmed.

Now, some models come with different shocks. The rubi & willys have the same shocks. Sahara has a different shock and sports have a different shock.

So your willys has zero lift compared to any other model. The only JK that I'm aware of that had a lift was the 2013 10A.

To answer your question:
Lifts can run from a couple hundred bucks to 10k+, so I would ask you how you plan on using your Jeep before any recommendation was made. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Sport came with the Rubicon rims and "performance suspension", so it has the red shocks instead of the black ones. Once I read more on the subject and looked, my Sport had the lowest rated springs available 13s in the front and 55s in the rear. Check the tags on your springs - the last 2 numbers will tell you what you have. If you have lower numbered springs you can buy some 19 front 60 rear take off springs from Craigslist, I got about 1.5-2" of lift off stock springs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, some models come with different shocks. The rubi & willys have the same shocks. Sahara has a different shock and sports have a different shock.

So your willys has zero lift compared to any other model. The only JK that I'm aware of that had a lift was the 2013 10A.
Okay shocks... interesting. So I guess my extra clearance is just coming from the tires. Hmmm... good to know.

I am up in Minnesota and go rock climbing often, as well as driving through some swamp when I am down in Florida. Only issue I ever run into for either of these is bottoming out:mooning:

So hence why I am in the market. What I want to avoid is replacing something on my jeep that is already "better than usual" with something that might be considered "lesser".

Not really looking for a recommendation for lifts... but now that the cat is out of the bag... was thinking something around the 1k range installed. Give or take some for quality.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
There are some standard measurements that can be taken around the spring seats to determine if you sit a little higher or lower than "stock" this will allow you to see about how much lift you will receive from a lift kit. I don't have an electronic copy of the measuring points, perhaps someone will post them, or a link, here.

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
Okay shocks... interesting. So I guess my extra clearance is just coming from the tires. Hmmm... good to know.
Not trying to be a jerk, I promise. :drinks: Just seems you have a misconception that the Willys is somehow higher/lifted over other Jeeps and has "extra" clearance. Other than the Rubi/willys shocks there's nothing "better than usual", suspension wise, on your Jeep. If you're lifting the shocks will have to be replaced.

I just put the 2.5" WF lift (Teraflex/Rancho) on the wife's Willys. It rides great and is the neighborhood of your price point. Install was easy, can be knocked out in a day with common hand tools and jack/jack stands. LINK The Rancho brackets do great for ride, but if you're rock crawling I'd do control arms instead. The brackets do hang down quite a bit.
I haven't measured to see how much lift she actually got but you should be able to fit a 35" comfortably.

Here's the pic @Jedi9 was referring to:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not trying to be a jerk, I promise. :drinks: Just seems you have a misconception that the Willys is somehow higher/lifted over other Jeeps and has "extra" clearance.
Yea idk why, but it seems I have more clearance than sports I've ran into on the trail. Maybe they are all a different year?

Maybe I've been just drinking my own koolaid for too long. I'm going to stop by a dealer and look at em side by side now :beerdrinking:

Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts