Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The sway bar is a round bar around 1" in diameter in the front suspension. It is there on your stock suspension and should remain there. It limits the amount of body roll that occurs when turning. It is essentially a spring the winds up when you turn. The links connect the sway bar to the axle and when you lift the suspension you need to add longer links. The threshold where longer links are required is ~2". Disconnects allow you to easily disconnect the sway bar when you are off road so the suspension can travel freely over its full range of motion.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
A quality lift kit will include whats needed to update your sway bar links.

·
Registered
607 Posts
When I did my springs I got new JKS "adjustable" links. The springs are 2" and since it's a Rubicon, I didn't need discos there. All you do is remove the old ones, level out the sway bar, and cut accordingly. Easy peasy. I think there are even enough threads to account for a larger lift at some point if you cut correctly.

Man, the more I think about it, my "cheap and simple" lift ended up being more like a pretty expensive (albeit correctly done) lift. Let's see:
Springs- $300
Shocks- $350
Sway bar links- $75
Brake lines- $110
Adjustable track bars- $350

Wow, I'm an idiot...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts