Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about lifting my everyday Jeep. I bought a new 4 door 2015 JKRU in October of 2014, and aside from the color, I love it. It is my only vehicle, and I use it for work and for play on the weekends. I don't plan to use it for anything higher than a 5, and enjoy the exploration possibilities more than the challenge.

I currently have the stock JKRU with 33’s, though I would like to go with 35’s and a 2.5- 3 inch lift. Since this is my only vehicle, my question is whether or not it's a good move. Do lifted Jeeps really have more problems than stock, enough to make it a headache until I can get a second vehicle? Does it effect your daily driving much?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I will try to help as much as I can. Lifting will almost always make the ride harsher, but it should handle better. Bigger, wider tires will ride rougher and hug road imperfections more. I have always lifted mine for capability and looks. I'm so used to how it drives that I have no problem dealing with the small issues of ride quality in a daily basis. Take a look at my current build as this is the best combo I have ever built and rides as good as a Jeep can IMO.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with the lift? Bling or capability? If capability, then you need to factor in re-gearing as well. If bling and you are just doing it for looks and don't drive it hard, as long as the lift isn't crap, you're probably fine.

For reference, my relatively stock JKUR did it's namesake with nothing more than a winch, a bunch of armor and 2" spring lift.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I will try to help as much as I can. Lifting will almost always make the ride harsher, but it should handle better. Bigger, wider tires will ride rougher and hug road imperfections more. I have always lifted mine for capability and looks. I'm so used to how it drives that I have no problem dealing with the small issues of ride quality in a daily basis. Take a look at my current build as this is the best combo I have ever built and rides as good as a Jeep can IMO.
I disagree with the "ride rougher" concept for all lifts. Many lifts these days actually ride better than stock and make the Jeep handle and corner better. Tires such as the Cooper STT Pros also ride incredibly well and very quietly. The stock tires on my Rubicon Hard Rock rode and drove worse. A larger tire will hug road imperfections more but you do not necessarily have to sacrifice ride quality or handling when lifting.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I disagree with the "ride rougher" concept for all lifts. Many lifts these days actually ride better than stock and make the Jeep handle and corner better. Tires such as the Cooper STT Pros also ride incredibly well and very quietly. The stock tires on my Rubicon Hard Rock rode and drove worse. A larger tire will hug road imperfections more but you do not necessarily have to sacrifice ride quality or handling when lifting.
Ride is subjective and every lift is stiffer than stock. Thats what I meant by rougher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I do like your build Dallas, it's clear you've done it a time or two. I suppose I'll get used to it if I lift it just as I got used to my Jeep in the first place. I too want to lift for both reasons. I love the look of a lifed Jeep, and I don't think it could hurt. This is why I'm looking into the smaller lifts with 35's vs. a larger lift with 37's or 38's - I can get the lifted look and benefit without the problems of the larger lifts that I don't necessarily need.

This is why I ask these questions, a couple people have urged me against it, stating that it causes a lot of problems and more wear and tear down the road. I work as a home health nurse, and living on the border of a reservation, I spend most of my time on unmaintained rutty dirt roads. I've struggled with several roads with my stock, so I was thinking it would be beneficial. However, I also don't want to risk damaging my Jeep more than I already have to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can run a 2.5" spacer lift (rough country for $180.00) that will improve your break over clearance, allow for bigger tires and improve your jeeps looks while having little to no effect on the driving characteristics.

With wheel spacers or new wheels you'll be able to run up to 35's.

If you choose to go suspension lift and wish to keep stock like road manners, keep it mild 3" or under and don't skimp. Reasearch and plan it out beyond what most kits include. Steering and track bar angles, caster correction, brakes, etc.

Research tires and focus on weight and tread suitable for daily driving.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hey OP.

I've been researching small lifts for a while as well since my Jeep is a DD. The reason why most folks say the aftermarket lifts have a stiffer ride is due to them being designed for fully loaded down Jeeps. So if you have a big 35/37 on the back with tire carrier, bull bar, winch, steel bumpers, and armor those lifts will ride a lot smoother than say a light weight Jeep with none of that stuff.

If you run a light Jeep and want to go with a suspension/coil lift check out the light kit from OME. Eibach also makes a leveling kit with springs that have a spring weight closer to stock (just longer coils). Jks springs ride nice and I've also heard good things out of synergy springs. With most of these options you just need some drop brackets to correct for castor and longer sway bar links and track bars.

Now if you're running rutted out unmaintained roads there's two more things that come to my mind. First is you'll need a good shock that will resist fade. Two is with putting 35's on you're increasing the wear on several things. Ball joints and steering components will wear faster and you may want to take a look at having your C's gusseted as a preventative measure.

Also you need to determine the gears you're running. 3.21 and 3.73 (or even 4.10 to some folks) can seem sluggish with the new larger tires you will be running. So a regear may also be in your future.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have a couple questions about lifting my everyday Jeep. I bought a new 4 door 2015 JKRU in October of 2014, and aside from the color, I love it. It is my only vehicle, and I use it for work and for play on the weekends. I don't plan to use it for anything higher than a 5, and enjoy the exploration possibilities more than the challenge.

I currently have the stock JKRU with 33’s, though I would like to go with 35’s and a 2.5- 3 inch lift. Since this is my only vehicle, my question is whether or not it's a good move. Do lifted Jeeps really have more problems than stock, enough to make it a headache until I can get a second vehicle? Does it effect your daily driving much?
Get yourself an AEV 2.5" kit with geometry correction brackets, a set of RC rear sway bar links and move the stock rears to the front, and a set of Pro-Comp front brake line brackets.
I have this setup on my wife's JKUWW, my son's JKUWW, and my JK. They all handle better than stock, and we all think they ride great. They are all on 315 Cooper ST Maxx tires.
All of our Jeeps are daily drivers, and weekend explorers, no super hard trails around here.
If you maintain your Jeep, and drive with your brain and not your throttle, you probably will no break anything in moderate wheeling.
If you are running stock bumpers you will gain more like 3 to 3-1/4 inches in height.
Good luck in your search, this is what has worked out great for us.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put a 2.5 inch mopar lift on my 2010 and it created death wobble. I had it inspected by several dealers and shops over the course of 2 years and never could get it resolved. Today I drive a stock Hard Rock and it is lifted enough factory and has no death wobble. My experience is to avoid anything that affects your vehicle's geometry.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Get yourself an AEV 2.5" kit with geometry correction brackets, a set of RC rear sway bar links and move the stock rears to the front, and a set of Pro-Comp front brake line brackets.
I have this setup on my wife's JKUWW, my son's JKUWW, and my JK. They all handle better than stock, and we all think they ride great. They are all on 315 Cooper ST Maxx tires.
All of our Jeeps are daily drivers, and weekend explorers, no super hard trails around here.
If you maintain your Jeep, and drive with your brain and not your throttle, you probably will no break anything in moderate wheeling.
If you are running stock bumpers you will gain more like 3 to 3-1/4 inches in height.
Good luck in your search, this is what has worked out great for us.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have the same AEV 2.5" lift with Geo Brackets. Love how it drives on and off road. I run Nito Trails (35 12.5 17s) which I like. They may be too aggressive for what you are looking for but they have great road manners and awesome off road capabilities.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think you need to how you'll use it and let that guide your decision. I have a stock height 2015 4 door as my DD, and originally I had no plans on lifting it until it was paid off or was no longer my DD. However, I also didn't buy a wrangler to stay on pavement all the time, and I've just recently started running some of the local 4x4 trails with an off road club. while I've been impressed with what it can do stock, the amount I'm dragging my skids even on some of the easier trails has me looking at moderate lifts to help with my breakover angle. I see where you said you're struggling with some of the rougher roads you need to travel for work. A lift may or may not help with that depending on if the reason why you're struggling is clearance related or not.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I put a 2.5 inch mopar lift on my 2010 and it created death wobble. I had it inspected by several dealers and shops over the course of 2 years and never could get it resolved. Today I drive a stock Hard Rock and it is lifted enough factory and has no death wobble. My experience is to avoid anything that affects your vehicle's geometry.
Assuming that you went with a good lift, just to provide some clarity....a properly installed quality lift and larger tires do not "create" death wobble. If your handling and steering were suddenly worse, you should have checked for something loose in your steering components.....balls joints, worn track bar bushing, etc.

OP - As long as you don't go with a "cheap" lift, you will be good. Go with AEV, RK, MC, etc. Be prepared to spend $1-2k on the lift itself and try to get a lift that is as complete as you can afford. Do it right the first time and then enjoy it.

Reactions: Longtallsally

·
Registered
82 Posts
build your jeep for where you spend 95% of the time

I have seen people literally spend 1/2 the price they paid for the jeep itself in aftermaket stuff to be able to do something for 10 hours out of the year. The entire rest of the year they have a vehicle which is not suitable for what they are doing with it.

but yeah, bragging rights and all about the size of their tires and such

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thank you all for the great replies. I'm researching everything you've shared. I do plan on replacing both front and rear bumpers, and adding a winch and compressor as well, so I will have increased weight. I'll also be going up to 35s from 33s, so I'll definitely be increasing my weight.

The roads do sometimes give me clearance issues, but I can usually find a way around. Stock all terrain tires probably don't help much with the issue of traction, but they work well on and off road. Right now most of my time is spent off of the pavement, however that may change in the future depending on my job.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm considering the same as you, 2-3" lift to accommodate 35" tires.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread - go with no lift but high clearance fenders. Keep the stock ride, gain an inch clearance with the bigger tires. May be cheaper too.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I'm considering the same as you, 2-3" lift to accommodate 35" tires.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread - go with no lift but high clearance fenders. Keep the stock ride, gain an inch clearance with the bigger tires. May be cheaper too.

There is a thread about the MOPAR high clearance fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts