Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I have a 2014 Willys edition 2dr, auto, with the 3:73 geared rear axle. I am looking to add 35" tires to existing black stock rims. I am at least lifting 2.5" - 3"....will I be fine to not re-gear or is this a must?
Also, is 1-1/2" spacers the only thing needed to run larger, wider, tires on stock wheels?

Any input will be appreciated....thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
What is needed: a good chunk of money and reading every post linked in the Tech sticky thread on the forum all the way through.

You will have everyone and their brother telling you they run 35s on 3.21 gearing and its just great, but I guess it all depends just how much you want to dislike life. The Jeep wont explode or anything, but would be a bit of a dog especially an auto.

Definitely truss or sleeve the axles - cheap insurance! And you will need a new tire carrier - do not hang a 35 off the stock carrier.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was pretty sure about the spacers was more curious about the gear. I know about the money part and have that taken care of....but thanks for clearing up the "free tire and lift" question that was coming next....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my first Jeep a month ago (2015 JKURHR), and spent hours on this forum, and the other 3 forums as well educating myself.
I got an AEV 2.5" lift, XD Series rims (18"), and Nitto Trail grapplers (285/74/18) which are 35.04 and the rear tires rub. Not cool, after spending $5500
So, some of the experts on this forum are not always right.
My $0.02

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Re-gearing is not a must. I highly recommend it, though. Also sleeving and trussing isn't a must. I would do at least inner c-gussets. I never sleeved or trussed my front D30 with 35" tires.

Anyway, if you want a more detailed response then feel free to PM me. I can give you some quotes too on some lifts.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just get the "best" lift you can and upgrade stuff when you break it. I was thinking about sleeving and trussing the 30 but I think it's a waste of money. I'll be a bit more conscious about wheeling and will save the $500 toward a prorock 44.

Your stock carrier can hold a 35" tire. I have done it now for many months and I have a friend that has done it for over a year with no problem. All it takes is using your brain (surprising right), when wheeling either take the spare off and put it in the rear or be conscious of bouncing the jeep that causes up and down motion. You might not feel it but the spare is bouncing around back there too. I'll upgrade soon to a PSC rear. You can go much cheaper with a teraflex carrier....but a new carrier is not critical

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I got my first Jeep a month ago (2015 JKURHR), and spent hours on this forum, and the other 3 forums as well educating myself.
I got an AEV 2.5" lift, XD Series rims (18"), and Nitto Trail grapplers (285/74/18) which are 35.04 and the rear tires rub. Not cool, after spending $5500
So, some of the experts on this forum are not always right.
My $0.02
What are the rear tires rubbing on and exactly where? What did the experts tell you that wasn't right?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
What are the rear tires rubbing on and exactly where? What did the experts tell you that wasn't right?
X2 Hey.. I sure as hell don't claim to be always right :rolleyes: If you're going to come on here and say something like that ... Please provide more details. Fwiw .. That size is showing a 34.8x11.22x18 which is a narrower tire for the diameter. Where is it rubbing ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My jeep came with Dana 44 rear axel with 3:73 gears....I've got a quote to re-gear to 4:56 gears for $1650.00 from 4wheel parts....does that seem high to you guys?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
My jeep came with Dana 44 rear axel with 3:73 gears....I've got a quote to re-gear to 4:56 gears for $1650.00 from 4wheel parts....does that seem high to you guys?
If memory serves, that seems in the ballpark. I want to say the average quote is around $800-$1K per axle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks sounds good

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome thanks....at least I know 4wheel parts is not raking me over the coals, I'm about to spend about 6k with them coming up soon and wanted to see where they stand with gearing pricing. I'm letting them do a TF 3.5" lift 17" rims and 35" tires 4:56 gears and tire carrier for almost 6k

·
Registered
688 Posts
The rear tires are hitting the back end of the rock rails. I went to Discount Tire Saturday, and they swapped out the 285/75/18's for 295/70/18's free of charge (30 day satisfaction guarantee) and now I'm set.
Looks like a combination of several factors. Typically a 2.5" inch lift is good for 35" tires, but most 35's are undersized where you stated yours are slightly oversized. Then your aftermarket rock rails extend into your rear wheel well, so that is part of the problem. Many will trim their pinch seam and Rubicon rails to eliminate interference. Typical trim line is to follow the line of the fender flare. From your pics, it appears that trimming your rails along that line is not possible as it would put you into the tube and weld.

Keep in mind that forum advice is typically based on personal experience and what people have read and believed to be true. You can't expect that anyone has had experience with every possible combination of aftermarket parts. Advice can only be given based on information supplied. So maybe the person suggesting the AEV lift would clear 35's wasn't expecting you to go with a true or oversized 35" tire, or didn't know you had aftermarket rails, or didn't have experience with your particular rail manufacturer ...

How about this? Instead of slamming members for bad advice, make a post to alert others to possible interference with your part combination. Let others know that those rails extend further into the rear wheel well than others and may cause issues. Share the information you know to be true, that's what these forums are all about!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Looks like a combination of several factors. Typically a 2.5" inch lift is good for 35" tires, but most 35's are undersized where you stated yours are slightly oversized. Then your aftermarket rock rails extend into your rear wheel well, so that is part of the problem. Many will trim their pinch seam and Rubicon rails to eliminate interference. Typical trim line is to follow the line of the fender flare. From your pics, it appears that trimming your rails along that line is not possible as it would put you into the tube and weld. Keep in mind that forum advice is typically based on personal experience and what people have read and believed to be true. You can't expect that anyone has had experience with every possible combination of aftermarket parts. Advice can only be given based on information supplied. So maybe the person suggesting the AEV lift would clear 35's wasn't expecting you to go with a true or oversized 35" tire, or didn't know you had aftermarket rails, or didn't have experience with your particular rail manufacturer ... How about this? Instead of slamming members for bad advice, make a post to alert others to possible interference with your part combination. Let others know that those rails extend further into the rear wheel well than others and may cause issues. Share the information you know to be true, that's what these forums are all about!
X2

The higher the lift the more the axle is brought in towards the seem. Just the way it is .. !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rails I have on the Jeep are stock. That's what came on the 2015 Unlimited Hard Rock Edition. They are not aftermarket.
The other thing is, I wasn't blasting anyone on this or any other forum. I was just trying to help another person realize that 35's on an AEV2.5" lift ARE going to rub.
Sorry to irritate you. I didn't know Jeep owners were sensitive, and I should have used more tact when I called them "experts".
I'll go away now

·
Registered
688 Posts
The rails I have on the Jeep are stock. That's what came on the 2015 Unlimited Hard Rock Edition. They are not aftermarket. The other thing is, I wasn't blasting anyone on this or any other forum. I was just trying to help another person realize that 35's on an AEV2.5" lift ARE going to rub. Sorry to irritate you. I didn't know Jeep owners were sensitive, and I should have used more tact when I called them "experts". I'll go away now
I'm not irritated and didn't recognize that they were the factory enhanced rock rails. It's a shame that Chrysler would design the rails to intrude into the wheel well, knowing that adding larger diameter tires is a common modification. I took the "expert" comment as very tongue in cheek. You got free advice from some fellow Jeepers and advice that is pretty sound. I'm running 315/70 R17's with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with no interference. Tires actually measure more like 34.5" diameter, though they are referred to as 35's, and I don't have the rock rails. Even AEV's web site says their 2.5" lift will accommodate 33" and 35" tires.

Thanks for pointing out that some 35" tires will rub the rails with a 2.5" lift w/o the benefit of adj rear control arms.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts