Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 08 Rubicon 2dr. I've kept it stock for way too long, so finally it needed shocks so figured I'd do a lift while I was under there. Got an AEV 2.5" kit and the geometry correction brackets.

Got the rear done without too much drama, then started on the front. Got it all apart, and mostly back together with only a few issues. Then noticed the axle-side track bar holes were not going to line up. Messed around with it and decided to move on to something else for a while to see if I got any ideas. So there's that.

Started on the geometry correction brackets, and on the pax side, it says you may need to pry the exhaust out of the way. Pry is an understatement. There's no way I'm going to be able to move it far enough to get that bolt out. So it's sitting there with the lower control arm unbolted and the top halfway out.

Finally was too sweaty, nasty, and sore so I went inside and cleaned up. I'll think about it and reengage tomorrow if I have time.

Thoughts? Really looking forward to getting it together and back on the road.

~snake

·
Registered
304 Posts
On mine I used a ratchet strap to realign the track bar. Hooked up the right side on the axle and left side to the frame, then just ratchet until the holes line up. I did it with jack stands on the frame and a rolling floor jack under the diff, it worked like a charm. I can't help with the geometry correction brackets, but I'm sure someone on here can... Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
X2 on using the steering wheel to line up the trac bar I tried a ratchet strap and I couldn't get it to move enough ( could of used a stronger one ) but then I turned the steering wheel and and checked I was off by half turned it a bit more and bingo

I also have the aev 2.5 and love it

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Sometimes you can actually bend the bracket (stock or aftermarket) in some. The joint will hold In there. Just push the body until the hole lines up.

I've never had to use a ratchet strap. For control arm bolts. What happens is the axle falls forward a bit. Another person pushing from the front of the tire should align the holes. Solo .. Use a wheel chuck and/or a jack under the pinion to hold the axle from falling forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew! Finally got it all together! Ended up stuffing the factory jack between the exhaust and frame and cranking it till I got the upper control arm bolt out. Used a ratchet strap to get the pax side control arm holes lined up (easy), and by then the driver's side hole lined up. Dug out the cable horse finally and got the track bar hole lined up. The rest was just tightening bolts. ACE rock rails went on in a snap.

Quick shakedown spin around, and everything seemed to work as designed. Even had the wife take a spin to get a second opinion.

It's no sports car, but way more responsive handling and steering. Took it around a big on ramp and it was night and day. No more bouncing and plowing. Had been a little worried since putting in 33" Duratracs bc the handling had gotten worse, but this fixed it right up.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

image-1056050039.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kind of a combo. Tried stuff till I found out what got results. What works depends on the exact situation and the tools you have available. For me, it was mostly time to asses the problem and time to try a few different solutions to see what worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts