Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought set of springs ( 2 1/2 inch metalcloak) and a set of shocks ( teraflex 9550) from a guy in our local jeep club for my 2010 4 door rubicon . He says that all i need is a rear track bar relocation bracket , a set of extended rear brake lines and a set of front brake line relocation brackets, and ili be good to go. Something is telling me i need more but I'm not sure what. I'm thinking new sway bars for the rear and bump stops too. Am i missing something ? Also, as far as the track bar relocation bracket goes, I've noticed there are a few different designs , The one that you have to drill the exsisting mount, drop in a couple bolts and you're done . The one that comes with a u-bolt. And one i saw that requires welding. I'm not sure what one will work for me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Axle mount rear track bar bracket is the best, the MC is like a 100 I think. You should add at the minimum control arm brackets on the front with MC springs, in addition to what you listed. The springs should give you every bit of 2.5 if not more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you have a 2.5 MC coils, and shocks...
you'll need an exhaust spacer if you have a 2012+, rear sway bar links (and put the rears up front), bump stops if your gonna run 35" tires, geometry bracket, and at least grade 8 bolts...oh yeah, and address the brake lines.
As of right now, there are no plans to replace the stock wheels and BFG mud terain tires.
I've noticed the exhaust spacers beeing needed but I think I dont need them on my 2010, right?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
There is a lot of ways to lift a Jeep but only a few wii produce great results. MC has already done all of the engineering (and manufacturing) for you. Take a look at all of the parts the MC 2.5" lift includes and then objectively decide which parts you are willing to live without such as longer sway bar links and bump stops.

JK Wrangler Lift Kit 2.5" True Dual-Rate

It's understandable you are trying to save on budget but keep in mind you will also be compromising one or more of: ride quality, handling, reliability and stability.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
The 2 priorities are caster correction and bump stops. For caster correction MC uses adjustable upper control arms or control arm drop brackets. Drop brackets are the economy choice. Poor caster will drive like crap and no bumps can damage the shocks.

For bump stops MC has a completely adjustable system, but it's expensive. Get the numbers off of the shocks and we can offer some assistance on more economical bump stops.

The other items should also be addressed before off roading, beginning with the rear track bar bracket. We often recommend the TF axle side bracket. The brake line brackets and rear sway bar links, Rough Country has an inexpensive 2.5 set of links that is good. You move the factory rear links to the front.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
I was going off the link that says 7-15
I would still go with 12–15 brake and ABS lines on a 07-11. Brackets won't do much good.
The trick here I think is for @WEIMWGN to get the info off of the shocks... Which 9550's are we talking about. Lines might be the ONLY way to do it.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I don't know the measurements but both the ABS and brake lines are longer 12-15
I found this out when I bought my hubs. The new ABS lines were 2 to 3 inches longer. Through research I found out the brake lines are also longer. Any 12–15 lift install only requires unclipping the lines from the coil perch. Much cheaper option for a 07–11 owners running longer shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe its just me but it seems like depending on the manufacturer, whether or not you need a specific piece depends on the price of the lift kit. Some say I only need brake line brackets, some say to replace lines. Some say I need control arms, some don't. I can't help but ask, are they just trying to sell me something I might not need just to up the price? I understand that if I break a brake line on the trail, I'm pretty much screwed so getting that right is a no brainer.
I don't want to be a cheap ass but I don't want to go spending money if I don't need to. I'm not planing on doing and rock bouncing with my Rubi any time soon so for now, I don't need to set the jeep up for anything too extreme. I just want a rig that will be a good trail Jeep .......for now.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
It's supposed to be '12 to '15, I don't know why it gets funky like that... Does it to me too.

A few things changed from the 07 to 11 and 12 to 15 model years. They lengthened the front brake lines for example. If you have an '07 to '11, it's better to replace the front brake lines and ABS wires. For the rear, you just use the brackets I posted above.

At that lift height, you likely need caster correction. It can be done with control arm drop brackets or lower control arms. This is needed for all years. And honestly, its WAY more important for your daily drive than it is on the trail. They're $100 and well worth it.

AEV Conversions NTH20410AD - AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Brackets for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

As for the shocks, if you go to Teraflex website, you will see that they have a 2.5" set and a 3" to 4" set.

https://teraflex.com/shop/category?category_0=Shocks&vehicle=JKU+Wrangler+Unlimited

We need to know which ones specifically because it changes the bump stops. (you can measure the ones you have extended)

As for the rear track bar bracket, you can save a few $$ by going frame side, but if you're under there doing the work, for $102 why not choose the better product?

Teraflex 1954776 - TeraFlex Rear Trackbar Bracket for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 2.5" Lift - Quadratec

We will not steer you wrong, I promise... :beerdrinking:(pun intended)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts