Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this lifted YJ is my first really lifted rig. My brother has a lifted F100 & told me that over the years driving this thing, he's had to replace the tilt column twice. He says the reason is from holding on to the steering wheel & pulling himself in & out of the rig. I've kinda been doing the same thing, ie; placing my right foot on the floorboards, then holding on to the steering wheel to haul myself up into the seat, a little jump & I'm in. But it sounds like I'm going to have to change this if I don't want to have to replace steering columns. Maybe those handles on the roll bar instead?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Being sixteen, this hasnt really crossed my mind yet. Oh shit! Handles are probably your best bet.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got some handles from Quadratec that Velcro onto the "rollbars". I think they were about 15 or 20 bucks for a set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The problem is on tilt wheels, the 4 bolts that hold the tilt head work loose from grabbing and hauling yourself in.

The column can be repaired, it's a PITA but easier and cheaper than replacing.

Check out Youtube, look for "jeep steering column rebuild" there are many how-to vids.

Then get the grab handles above, that's what I did.

·
Registered
471 Posts
im 6'2" but have a seriously bad back....

I chose a jeep as I can't bend my neck to get in and out of a 'regular' car... but, the opposite is now, getting my legs to lift up high enuf to get into the jeep......if I get enuf momentum, I can swing my right leg in, or at least lift it up...

Im not sure I can lift myself up with a grab handle... I do use mine to stablize and secure myself while I am getting in.

I am not sure I can use or like 'steps'... they don't seem wide enuf for me to actually step onto and pivot, ...

I think I will be on the lookout for a milk crate and figure out how to put a handle or rope onto it so I can lift it up into the jeep after I get in...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I removed the factory steps and installed step bars they are mounted under the body and make it a little bit easier to get my old but in. I still have grab handles.
If I am working on the Jeep at home and need to get in and out a lot I have an aluminum folding step I got at Harbor Freight , I guess I could tie a rope on it and take it where I go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
One hand on the roll bar, one hand on the window frame and pull yourself in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the last day or two, this is what is working for me. Right foot on the floorboard, left hand on the windshield frame, a little jump & I'm in the seat. I have a grab handle already. But at 6'1" & 230, I don't really trust it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
careful putting too much force or weight on the window frame, the door hinges could potentially weaken.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts