Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some math to figure out if I would have enough clearance in a couple parking garages and I was wondering how lift kits affect overall height.

For example, my brother-in-law has a 2013 JKU:
Rubicon (stock): 72.5"
Lift: 3.5"
Tires (35"): 1.5"

If I just added it up it would equal 6' 5.5"

I can tell you from standing next to it that it's a couple inches under that, so unless it's specific to his lift, the overall height is not directly related to the amount of his lift.

Does anyone know if this is generally true or is it specific to his lift (I believe it's Rubicon Express)? Type of lift perhaps?

Is there a general relation between the lift height and overall height?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
35" tires are not 35" to start, usually closer to 33.75-34.

I have 3.5" springs (actual lift 4"), 35" Pitbulls and total height to softtop bows 78".

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
35" tires are not 35" to start, usually closer to 33.75-34. I have 3.5" springs (actual lift 4"), 35" Pitbulls and total height to softtop bows 78".
I think it would be more accurate to say that 35" tires aren't 35" when mounted. Tire dimensions are based on non-mounted measurements with full tread life and anything between 34.5 and 35.4 inches qualifies. A mounted tire that isn't at max PSI will therefore measure 33.5-35 inches.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The JKUR also runs stiffer springs in stock configuration. Ie, a 3.5" lift on a sport will net more change in height than the same lift on a JKUR.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The JKUR also runs stiffer springs in stock configuration. Ie, a 3.5" lift on a sport will net more change in height than the same lift on a JKUR.
Very true expect the advertised lift or slightly less on Rubis and more on Sports and Sahara's in most cases; it's not absolute. Extra weight from mods also obviously changes the amount of effective lift.

Most tires are slightly smaller than advertised.

My '09 with a 3.5" lift and 35s was just under 77".

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just got my 35s yesterday:

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar

35x12.5xR17 = +/- 34" face of tread to face of tread unmounted.

·
Commercial Member
2,057 Posts
I was just wondering about something along the same lines as this. We bought our 2012 JKUR used and it already had a lift on it. I've always been content just knowing it is lifted. Recently I've wanted to know how much of a lift it has. So, this is all good info. I'm running "35" Duratracs and got these measurements this morning (sorry about them being sideways):

Front

Rear

Those are measurements to the front and rear door seals. Can some you guys with known lift sizes take some readings at those points and let me know what you get please?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was just wondering about something along the same lines as this. We bought our 2012 JKUR used and it already had a lift on it. I've always been content just knowing it is lifted. Recently I've wanted to know how much of a lift it has. So, this is all good info. I'm running "35" Duratracs and got these measurements this morning (sorry about them being sideways): Front Rear Those are measurements to the front and rear door seals. Can some you guys with known lift sizes take some readings at those points and let me know what you get please?
My Jeep is stock with a tire size of 32" and no lift. The bottom of the front door measures to 21.5" and the back door is 22". Your tire should net ~ 1.5" of lift more than mine and your overall lift is 5.5 and 5" higher respectively. You probably have a 3.5" lift.

·
Commercial Member
2,057 Posts
Thanks for those numbers cornfedksboy. Is it typical for a Rubi to net more lift than the stated amount of a kit? 27 - 1.5 (tires) = 25.5 - 21.5 (your stock height) = 4".

I'm perfectly happy with a 3.5" lift, but with my heavy JCR front and rear bumpers with full rotopaks and hi lift, winch, and full spare on the carrier, I would have thought I'd get less then the stated lift amount.

I'm splitting hairs and I know this is not a science... just sitting at work with some downtime between test runs. lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
My Polar Edition has 18s but the bottom of my doors are 23 front and 23.5 rear. Stock tire is 32. could be 2.5 or 3.5. Assuming your 35s measure 35.

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
I have a 14 rubicon with 285/75-17 tires (~33" actual size mounted on jeep with 28psi) Rock Krawler 1.5" front coil lift.
front

rear

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
There is no such thing as Ruby springs, Sahara springs or Sport springs. You can find any combination of springs in any model dependent on options. Usually a hardtop with tow package in any model will have the heavier springs. To find true lift based on the average factory height JK or JKU use this diagram.

There are Actual 35" mounted tires like the Pitbull Rocker, but few actually meet their advertised side.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Nice diagram.... so regardless of what springs the Jeep comes with, those should be the stock dimensions? Taking measurments like those and substracting out the stock results should yeild the actual lift as it sits now?
The diagram indicates an average actual stock height which most aftermarket lifts would be based off. Of course a very basic Sport with soft factory springs is gonna be lower then a Sahara or Rubi with a hardtop and tow package springs.
So yes take the measurement subtract the 18 1/2" and that is your ACTUAL/TRUE lift.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts