Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use their light bar as a support for a Kayak or light weight canoe ? I'm in Hawaii and see many surf boards strapped to them...was curious if my Sportspal canoe could be transported on one? My Sportspal canoe weighs 58#, therefore half would be rested on the light bar and the other end supported with a trailer vertical hitch support.

Web search found them made by Smittybuilt and Rocky Ridge. The Smittybuilt attaches to all of the hinge brackets vs the RR to two bolts. 4-5 lights have to weigh half of what my canoe weighs? Difference would be the wind uplift at 70mph. With uplift, I like the design of the SB unit. The RR has tubes that slip fit together...presumed screwed / bolted after slip fitted.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I haven't done it, but I've been considering doing the same thing. I'm sure it would be fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you on Oahu? If so shoot me a pm I am on island too maybe we can meet up and do some off roading here.

Anyone use their light bar as a support for a Kayak or light weight canoe ? I'm in Hawaii and see many surf boards strapped to them...was curious if my Sportspal canoe could be transported on one? My Sportspal canoe weighs 58#, therefore half would be rested on the light bar and the other end supported with a trailer vertical hitch support.

Web search found them made by Smittybuilt and Rocky Ridge. The Smittybuilt attaches to all of the hinge brackets vs the RR to two bolts. 4-5 lights have to weigh half of what my canoe weighs? Difference would be the wind uplift at 70mph. With uplift, I like the design of the SB unit. The RR has tubes that slip fit together...presumed screwed / bolted after slip fitted.

·
Registered
750 Posts
do you have a soft top or hard top? If you typically have the top off/down, you can just rest the canoe/kayak on top of the windshield and rear roll bar/speakers. I put a pool noodle or towel under it where it rests on the window channel. I've done that plenty of times with no issues. My boat is probably a bit smaller, about 11 ft, 35 -40 lbs. Just make sure to tie the bow and stern down too. I've never tried it with the top up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you on Oahu? If so shoot me a pm I am on island too maybe we can meet up and do some off roading here.
We're in Kona ( that's on the big island "Hawaii" for those who have never been to this awesome state) ...actually went wheelin' through the rocks in the rental jeep yesterday when we went to the green sand beach :D....thanks for the offer though.

I will have the top up when traveling with the Sportspal.... we live in lower Michigan and will take a few trips to northern Michigan a summer, its about a 225 mile one way highway trip.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Im super late but I didn't see an answer, I've taken the top off and but a canoe and a kayak (not together) on my light bar, even strapped hard it bent a little bit, but if its aluminum itll bend right back to straight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts