Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of folks putting their LED lightbars up above the windshield or at the windshield hinge level. My question is doesn't this make for a blinding reflection off the hood or to much light in you eyes to be really useful? I had a old 4x4 somebody mounted KC highlighter pencil beams on the roof, and the reflection was terrible to me so they got moved down to the grill area.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
IMHO, the best light bar location is under the workbench.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It doesn't make a blinding reflection off of the hood. Is the hood lit up? Yes. Does driving in daylight blind you from sun off of the hood? No.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't make a blinding reflection off of the hood. Is the hood lit up? Yes. Does driving in daylight blind you from sun off of the hood? No.

Well actually yes, it does blind me. There are times when Im tempted to go flat black on our vehicles hoods because of the mid day suns glare. I think Lucky Mac is on to something here ;) .

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Stupidest mistake I ever made with any of my vehicles was putting lights above the windshield on my Scrambler. Never again. I always chuckle when I pass Jeeps with a massive light bar above the windshield, another on the hood and additional lights on the A-pillars. In my opinion, any light on the hood is unacceptable on backcountry trails...and lights near the windshield will definitely light up your hood.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Considering I have the brightest lights made above my windshield, and I wheel at night several times a year, I can unequivocally say that they don't reflect off the hood and blind you. I always laugh at people with no experience claiming knowledge. I can't think of a single time my lights have been on and I've thought, damn, I can't see because my hood is so reflective. Lights above the windshield give the highest and best vantage point for illumination of the trail in front of you. If you don't want lights, fine, but don't make up reasons or parrot myths.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. I have no experience with overhead lights (yet), but I've researched it.

It seems that if your "over the windshield" lightbar has "flood lights", then yes, your hood (& possibly your interior) will probably be lit up.

But, if that lightbar has "spot lights", since their beams are aimed down the road (Instead of up close), I don't think you're going to have a "glare" problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts