Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got the jeep used. Already had a 50in light bar and 2 3in led pods unkown brands all wired to 1 KC switch that has a green light on it when on. When I got the jeep the light bars worked. A week ago went to turn them on, light bars didn't work, but the green light on the switch came on which means power is at least running to the switch. Electrical problems are not my strong suit by any mean so where do I start at trying to diagnose my problem?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
584 Posts
So got the jeep used. Already had a 50in light bar and 2 3in led pods unkown brands all wired to 1 KC switch that has a green light on it when on. When I got the jeep the light bars worked. A week ago went to turn them on, light bars didn't work, but the green light on the switch came on which means power is at least running to the switch. Electrical problems are not my strong suit by any mean so where do I start at trying to diagnose my problem?

Check the inline fuse (provided there is one installed) in the wiring to the battery and see if it blew...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the inline fuse (provided there is one installed) in the wiring to the battery and see if it blew...
There is an inline fuse. It appeared to be fine. But if it was the fuse that blew wouldn't that mean the switch wouldn't have power and no green light on the switch?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not necessarily. With that much light working on one switch I would hope they wired a relay from a power source to feed power to the lights. In that preferred scenario the switch would be sending a signal to the relay. The relay would power the lights.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
584 Posts
There is an inline fuse. It appeared to be fine. But if it was the fuse that blew wouldn't that mean the switch wouldn't have power and no green light on the switch?

Not sure. It's just the quickest to check before tracing the wires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the fuse nothing. Here is another switch to the dash that I have 0 idea of its function and is missing a wire as well. As for a relay, I dont see any in the engine bay

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Stock drivetrain
280 Posts
Have you checked for power coming out of the switch. I have seen switches go bad. Also check for power at the light and check if the ground connection is clean and tight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked for power coming out of the switch. I have seen switches go bad. Also check for power at the light and check if the ground connection is clean and tight.
Problem I ran into my voltmeter stopped working so I haven't been unable to check anything

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Stock drivetrain
280 Posts
Problem I ran into my voltmeter stopped working so I haven't been unable to check anything

Buy another one or a test light. I have seen some pretty small and cheap ones. It is good to have one in the rig for testing while on a trail.

You could run a wire from battery to light and see if it will light up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Check the connection on the light bar pigtail. Usually “waterproof” connection lets plenty of water in and corrodes. Clean it out, or cut and splice it.
But yes, first check volts along the way to see where it isn’t!
Troy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it goes in for a oil pump replacement tomorrow. Hopefully will have it back by the weekend and can attempt to dig in further I'll get a voltmeter tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the connection on the light bar pigtail. Usually “waterproof” connection lets plenty of water in and corrodes. Clean it out, or cut and splice it.
But yes, first check volts along the way to see where it isn’t!
Troy
The square led pods aren't working either. And they are all on the same switch. So I assume it's not a pig tail problem unless there is a issue at a connection where all the wires are ran together. Honestly the whole light bar plus pods probably need rewired.

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
The square led pods aren't working either. And they are all on the same switch. So I assume it's not a pig tail problem unless there is a issue at a connection where all the wires are ran together. Honestly the whole light bar plus pods probably need rewired.

I've been in the car business my entire life (I'm now retired). Through the years I would buy cars than needed repairs, do the repairs and sell them for a profit.
In my experience, 95% of people that do their own wiring have no business working under the dash or under the hood. I've cleaned up more wiring rats nests than I care to remember.

The thing to try to attain is make it easy for the next guy that knows nothing about your mod to come in and do whatever diagnostics and repairs that might be necessary. Rather than run a plain wire from the power source to the accessory, buy some plastic conduit and wire tie it securely in place, or tuck your accessory wire into the factory harness. The idea is to make all your mods look as close to what the factory might do.

Pic is a homemade headlight wiring relay setup to reroute headlight power through the relays, rather than than through the weak, stock headlight switch that YJs have.
RED = Typically power
Black = Typically ground...These are generally universal throughout the auto industry.

White and green are the high beam and low beam. wires. White color was easy to match. I had to use a different color green than the factory light green wire, but the next guy can easily follow the circuits in case of any problems.
I did this in 2016 and have had no issues, but if someday my widow sells the Jeep, the next guy should be able to easily figure out what I did.

A couple more hints:
Use solder and shrink tubing when joining wires
Use dielectric grease when reconnecting any plugs that you open up.
Use Deutsch or some other weatherproof connector when replacing factory plugs (like the fuel pump plug for YJ electric fuel pumps).

Remember, "My job is to make the next guy's job easier"....the next guy might be you when you go back into the mod in years to come and can't remember what wire goes where.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts