Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install my 52" light bar on my Sherpa roof rack. Wondering what route folks use to get the wiring from the light bar into the vehicle or the engine compartment?

I am thinking that I will want to run the wire harness into the engine compartment first, grab power and then run a switch into the cab for mounting somewhere.

I don't really want to drill any holes so not quite sure how to get the wires where they need to go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is a section on the install instructions that cover wiring for lights. That should get you started on the rack part of it.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/instructions/11703.21.pdf

As for the wires going into the cab. There should be a foam covered access hole in the fire wall just below the brake booster on the driver side (at least it is on a 2017). You can also see it be looking under and up behind the dash.

Another good source, is get with your local jeep club. Many have previously installed lights and such. Great place for information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
All of my power wires for lights, halos, and underbody kit go right into the compartment at the fuse box. You simply have to remove the screws holding on the bracket where the light bar attaches to when mounting and remove the panel. You will see access into the cab and fuse box.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wired up auxiliary high beams to a switch on the driver side using coat hanger wire to fish the wire through the insulation. I pushed the interior panel a little so you can see where it enters the cab.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
386GreyWanderer, Thanks for that link. That shows that there are holes in the windshield brackets and the upper crossbar that allow you to feed the wire from the light bar down through the inside of the Sherpa roof rack so that the only place it will be exposed is where it comes from the lower windshield bracket and down through the panel at the rear of the hood.

It also shows that the sections of the roof rack are supposed to have silicone applied when assembled for waterproofing and all of the access holes are to be plugged to keep water out.

The prior owner failed to do that when the rack was installed and I already had to replace the rear lower sections as they had begun to rot. One of the front windshield brackets is also showing signs of rotting through and will probably have to be replaced soon.

I used some Eastwood internal frame spray inside the new rear sections prior to installation so hopefully that will help keep them from rotting out again so quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts