Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a pick-up truck type light bar work on a hard top? Too wide? Gutter not deep enough?
Whatcha think?

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
my first thought is no, but anything's possible if you work hard enough at it.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Does it mount TO the hard top?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was just looking at the top the other day and noticed the gutters are about a 1/4 inch deep. I don't see why it couldn't work. Just makin conversation.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Yeah, but unlike a truck, your top is fiberglass. How will it hold up to the stress from the wind on your lights and bar? Isn't that why jeep ones are usually mounted to the windshield frame?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but unlike a truck, your top is fiberglass. How will it hold up to the stress from the wind on your lights and bar? Isn't that why jeep ones are usually mounted to the windshield frame?
Good point. I had saw a truck bar for sale locally. Best price on a jeep windshield lightbar I've seen is around 100. Budget is tight these days.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be the one. It still has 5 days left, I'll keep an eye on it. He is charging too much to ship though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
shippings not too bad gotta keep in mind there is boxes and packing involved plus a shipping charge from UPS or others.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If you wheel at all I wouldn't go with a light bar. When I first got my Jeep I put a light bar on it. It hit every tree limb under the sun and was a total PITA. It wasn't long before I pulled it right back off.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shippings not too bad gotta keep in mind there is boxes and packing involved plus a shipping charge from UPS or others.

I respectfully must disagree here. Last year I shipped a set of D35 shafts, in a box I fabbed by UPS for 22.00. A good bit heavier than lightbar tubing. Since I'm not a company I wouldn't expect for someone to pay for my time, just the actual cost to ship to them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I respectfully must disagree here. Last year I shipped a set of D35 shafts, in a box I fabbed by UPS for 22.00. A good bit heavier than lightbar tubing. Since I'm not a company I wouldn't expect for someone to pay for my time, just the actual cost to ship to them.
true but ups and all the other shipping facilities have to deal with sizes of packages more smaller packages equal more money where as bigger packages equal less money made more trucks/trips needed.

not trying to start an argument but i can justify 20 bucks shipping on a light bar thats looks to be one piece and will be in a 4 foot by 3 foot box.

this is all my opinion of course.

Larry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Someone gave me a light bar, but I don't think it'll fit. I have a TJ and I think it's supposed to fit either a CJ or YJ since the bar does not extend down to the bolts on the lower sides of the windshield. It looks like it would bolt somewhere in the center of the sides of the windshield and there are no bolts there on the TJ.

Basically the side arms are shorter than they need to be.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Someone gave me a light bar, but I don't think it'll fit. I have a TJ and I think it's supposed to fit either a CJ or YJ since the bar does not extend down to the bolts on the lower sides of the windshield. It looks like it would bolt somewhere in the center of the sides of the windshield and there are no bolts there on the TJ.

Basically the side arms are shorter than they need to be.
Do I need to make new holes windshield pillars in order to attach the lightbar?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do I need to make new holes windshield pillars in order to attach the lightbar?
I have seen a style that mounts like that. Is this it? This mounts to the frame close to the top. I think you do have to drill holes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have seen a style that mounts like that. Is this it? This mounts to the frame close to the top. I think you do have to drill holes.

Yea, it's similar to that. The side "arms" are short, so it has to be bolted higher up on the windshield pillars. I'm not sure that I want to drill new holes. :eek:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Don't drill new holes, you're just asking for leaks that way. Just get one that's made for your year if you want one so bad. You can usually find them for under 100 bucks.

The light bar you were given is not for a TJ, don't bother trying to put it on. Sell it or give it to someone else. It's not worth the hassle for something that you probably won't like after you get it on there anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts