Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my KC lights on the smittybilt windshield brackets and the adaptor that came with the bracket to move the antena away from the light just doesn't look very good.

I'm thinking of either bending the antena, rotating it so it points more towards the back or a stubby antena.

How do you turn the whole antena towards the rear?

Anyone have pics with a stubby antena on and does it work just as good?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I've decided that even the 13" antenna will hit the light so I want to angle the stock one back. Does anyone know how to rotate the antenna back about 15 degrees?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Desert Dweller
633 Posts
If you live in the city with good AM/FM coverage, then a stubby type antenna will work fine. But like so many other things in live, size does matter. If you live in the 'burbs, you might not receive all the stations you want. A long, straight antenna works MUCH better than using the same amount of wire, but wrapped in a coil. There's lots of postings from members being disappointed after switching to a stubby antenna.

You can get away with bending the antenna immediately above the threaded coupler. But you might have a problem installing it again due to it hitting the fender as you turn it. Be sure to mark the antenna to indicate which side goes to the front (or rear) so you know which way the bend has to go.

Another way will involve drilling 3 new holes. If you open the hood and look on the backside of the antenna, you can see that it is mounted with 3 screws. IF, IF you can remove the round black plastic cowling piece that surrounds the antenna mount, you should have access to the 3 screws. You would have to remove all this, drill some holes 15 degrees counterclockwise of the existing, and then put it all back together.

I think to solve your problem, I would try the bending option first.

Once last option would be to get new light mounts, or maybe one of the light bars that mount to the front bumper. Something like: Olympic 4x4 Products 183-174 - Olympic 4X4 Products Front Bumper Mount Light Bar for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Hope you work it out.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My main goal is to find a bracket that would put my new 4.5 round LED lights off to the side (like the Smitty does) while working with my existing 13" stubby from AntennaX.

I considered the "rotate antenna mod," but I really hate the idea of drilling my antenna mount just for the lights. That said, I might still go that route if nothing else works with my 13" stubby.

My latest idea is the Olympic4x4 light bracket. It puts the lights off to the side, like the Smitty, but it locates them 2" higher than the Smitty mount. I might just have to test it out:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12110_210X_PG.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts