Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Massachusetts and I am not extremely familiar with the laws. I am curious if I need to leave my lights capped or if I could get these grills and this would suffice. The lights are on my windshield mounts. These are the grills I was looking to get. HELLA 500/500FF Series Protective Grille Cover.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Every state has different laws regarding off road light! Go to your state gov web sight and look up motor vehicle regulations, there will be a section covering lighting.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Generally, your off road lights are considered Auxilliary lights. Most states are not concerned with them unless you use them on roads. If you do, they mostly consider number of lights illuminated at a time, height and angle. Of course, you should be able to google Mass traffic code for lights to get your answer and then follow up with at a near by trooper post.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have windshield piller mounted lights and, as you, I live in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I run my lights uncovered ALL THE TIME. I use them ONLY when either completely alone on a rural road OR off road. So far, zero issues.

This weekend I'm heading up to the Allagash for a week of winter coyote hunting and intend to cap them for New Hampshire and Maine as I don't know their rules. Once up in the far north woods the covers will come back off as Moose are wandering abouts.......and they are to be avoided at all costs!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
For your reading pleasure...

540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

22.04: Minimum Standards for Construction and Performance of Headlamps and Other Lighting Equipment

The Federal Regulations, 49 CFR part 571.108, as enacted and from time to time amended, are herein incorporated by reference as the regulations of the Registry of Motor Vehicles governing the standards for the construction and performance of headlamps and other lighting equipment for the purposes of complying with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90.

22.05: Operation of Headlamps on Motor Vehicles

(2) Whenever there is sufficient light within thetraveled portionofthehighwayto make clearly visible a
(1) If there is not sufficient light within the traveled portion of the highway to make clearly visible all substantial objects within a distance of at least 350 feet, no motor vehicle shall be operated unless it is equipped with two lighted headlamps of approximately equal candle power which throw sufficient light ahead to make clearly visible all substantial objects upon the roadway within a distance of 115 feet.
ll substantial objects for a distance of 350 feet, and whenever the operator of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the operator shall regulate the headlamps so that no dangerous or dazzling light shall rise to a height greater than 42 inches above a surface of uniform grade, when measured 75 feet or more ahead of the lamps.

(3) Whenever reflection from fog, snow or other atmospheric conditions make it impossible for the operator of a motor vehicle to see clearly substantial objects for the prescribed distances, the headlamps may be regulated as to give the driver the maximum visibility under the circumstances and, for this purpose, auxiliary headlamps may be used in conjunction with, or in place of the headlamps otherwise required.

(4) The operator of a motor vehicle shall permit any police officer or motor vehicle investigator and examiner to inspect and test the head lighting equipment of such motor vehicle to determine compliance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90, § 7 and 540 CMR 22.05.

22.07: Mounting and Display of other Aftermarket Lighting

No person shall mount or display any lighting device which does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations, 49 CFR Part 571, unless specifically allowed by M.G.L. c. 90, §7. Such prohibited devices shall include, but not be limited to, neon undercarriage lighting.

All that said, if you draw unwelcome attention to yourself your friendly law enforcement officer will likely find a way to make your day unpleasant, there is lots of room for subjectivity.

·
Registered
633 Posts
'basecamper' THANKS for that post. Now I know I don't have to cover my lights runing up to Maine this weekend. Much appreciated. Stuck the link in my favorites...good thing to have handy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Leave em uncapped. As long as they arent on and blinding people I doubt you will get your balls busted. Caps are more for stone protection then to meet laws:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts