Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on lights im getting power to all three wires in my tail lights. That doesnt seem right? Im trying to install LED tail lights I looked at the light switch and it seems fine. Any idea where to start?

·
Registered
532 Posts
So the wire to the running light filament, brake/turn filament and the ground wire all are hot? Id say you have a bad ground. Time to have a good look over all your chassis to body grounds. Sometimes crud builds up behind or in the light bulb socket behind the fiber board and causes problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
You're right. It doesn't seem right. It appears you have a short somewhere between the taillights and the headlight switch or the brake light switch or the turn signal switch.
If you only have one taillight disconnected, unplug the other one. Your short might be in one of the taillights.
I assume you're testing the harness side of the taillight plug. This needs to be done with both taillights unplugged.

If your problem isn't with one of the taillight assemblies, you'll need a schematic so that you can follow the circuits back to the switches.
Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the manual that you need. The schematics should be in the electrical troubleshooting section.

I'd start by checking the taillight ground to the tub. On my '87, it's a black wire screwed to the tub, up under the drivers side wheel well. If the ground is secure, look for pinches or burns in the harness. Follow it up through the wheel housing and along the drivers side of inside the tub Look for pinches or melted areas. You may need to pull the wires out of the plastic conduit to examine them. Be sure to tuck them back if they all look undamaged.
While you're up under the wheel well checking the ground and wires, you might remove the ground screw, scrape or sand the ground spot on the tub to clean shiny metal. Then scrape or sand the ring terminal to clean it. Put it back together with a small dab of dielectric grease. By cleaning the ground, you've totally eliminated a faulty ground as a cause and you can continue looking without a nagging question about the ground.

Another thought is do you have any trailer wires? That's the very first place I'd look if you have a trailer plug.

Let us know what you discover.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Krangler87

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
I don't know what the heck that wire is. That might be part of a previous owner's attempt to cobble up a ground. Factory wires never run through a hole in sheet metal without a grommet.

There should be a black wire running from each taillight plug to a point where they join (or the black wire may run from the passenger side taillight plug to the drivers side taillight plug) and then to a ring terminal that's screwed to the tub.

I'll look at mine tomorrow to see exactly how it's connected.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts