Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to add a short light bar to my bull bar. I need a neat/ clean way to route the wires. I was going to use a magnet method I read about here but the bar is stainless thus nonmagnetic.
Any other good ideas? I’d rather not drill. I know drilling stainless can be difficult as it’s very dense.
Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pics would help...

You can drill stainless, cobalt or titanium drill bit and a drop of cutting fluid. Tap bull bar with a center punch to prevent the bit from walking.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics would help...

You can drill stainless, cobalt or titanium drill bit and a drop of cutting fluid. Tap bull bar with a center punch to prevent the bit from walking.
Thanks for that info. I am hoping to find a non-drill method... unfortunately I don't think I will.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Zip-tie the wires behind the bar with black Zip-ties. Really don't notice them.

That is what I did, and agree that they are essentially invisible. You only notice them if you are actually looking for them.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Same here. Zip ties behind the bar then harnessed together in the winch bundle.

Reactions: JSRIII

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Zip ties was my first thought as well if drilling is not an option.....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
How about some silicone or other epoxy type adhesive? run a bead of the stuff and glue the wires down. Probably only semi permanent. I used some construction type adhesive to glue my gas tank heat shield back into place after the bolts rusted out and its still holding after like 4 years and 4 winters

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics would help...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used zip ties and some black gorilla tape in one spot. Holds everything out of the way . Looks OK not a show car it is a work jeep.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’d like to add a short light bar to my bull bar. I need a neat/ clean way to route the wires. I was going to use a magnet method I read about here but the bar is stainless thus nonmagnetic.
Any other good ideas? I’d rather not drill. I know drilling stainless can be difficult as it’s very dense.
Thanks.
So what did you decide to do? I have a RockHard 4x4 bumper and installing Raxiom 4.5 LED lights on the bar and was thinking along your lines, trying to keep in clean. Not a show Jeep, I just like to do things as clean as possible.

I can do zip ties, just thinking about alternatives, cause the bar itself is not open so I would need to drill 2 holes, 1 in the bar to feed the wires in and somehow out the bar into the bumper...

·
Registered
536 Posts
So what did you decide to do? I have a RockHard 4x4 bumper and installing Raxiom 4.5 LED lights on the bar and was thinking along your lines, trying to keep in clean. Not a show Jeep, I just like to do things as clean as possible.

I can do zip ties, just thinking about alternatives, cause the bar itself is not open so I would need to drill 2 holes, 1 in the bar to feed the wires in and somehow out the bar into the bumper...
Here is a 20" lightbar on a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. I used zip ties and don't mind them. But YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I ended up drilling into the bar and using a rubber grommet in the hole around the wires.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/my-on-going-lighting-thread-2383715.html#post34646403

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ended up drilling into the bar and using a rubber grommet in the hole around the wires.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/my-on-going-lighting-thread-2383715.html#post34646403
Looks good! If my bar detached I would definitely do that. Nice and clean!

Here is a 20" lightbar on a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. I used zip ties and don't mind them. But YMMV.
Thank you, exactly what I have for a bumper. I think I'll go with the zip ties, looked at the wiring kit yesterday and hopefully I can minimize the zip ties, but they don't seem too bad.. I do not see an easy enough way to drill through that beast.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good! If my bar detached I would definitely do that. Nice and clean!

Thank you, exactly what I have for a bumper. I think I'll go with the zip ties, looked at the wiring kit yesterday and hopefully I can minimize the zip ties, but they don't seem too bad.. I do not see an easy enough way to drill through that beast.
If I was doing it I would remove the bumper, drill the bar at the top for the wires to go in and then use a right angle drill and drill into the tube from the bottom, assuming there is access, for the wires to come out. Ya a bit of extra work, but it'll look very clean when done.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts
I don't understand peoples reluctance to drill, especially for something as ubiquitous as a bull bar. I am of the mindset that everything should be clean and tidy, as if from the factory. No zip ties, run it through the tube itself. Helps protect it from damage in weather, car washes, etc. I use shrink wrap and split loom tubing to ensure not only better safety, but a clean look.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I hate the zip ties, but we have Hella 500s and the connector is gigantic. Here's a pic somebody posted at QT:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think I would cut the connector and extend the wires so you could connect it without having to run it through something.

I think I'm going to pick up some proper bits to drill the hole. I just cannot convince myself to put zip ties on it. I see that they are not that noticeable I will notice them and it will drive me crazy...I know.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah, I'm just about at that point, I cut up the rest of the wiring yesterday to run my own switch so I guess "warranty" doesn't matter now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts