Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone towing a TJ, I tow mine behind my RV. I have been using a set of magnetic lights I put on the rear bumper of the jeep, pain in the ass but they work. There are some kits that let you tap into the vehicle being towed electrical system using diodes but I didn’t want to get into the jeeps electrical system. There is a Roadmaster kit that uses separate 1157 bases that you snap into the tail light assembly but you have to drill a 1 inch hole through the back of the light and through the body panel. They cost in the $60.00 range. They also sell just the housings, no wire for $22.00. I already have the wire running to the rear for my magnetic lights and I didn’t want to drill a 1 inch hole in the jeep so I bought two 3157 bases for $9.00 and a trailer end 4 flat to plug into my existing 4 flat car end thats in the back corner where I plugged my magnetic light in. If I didn't already have this wire installed I would have just run a wire to the lights and not needed the trailer plug. I epoxied the base to the inside of the light housing, drilled a small hole for 2 wires to exit right next to where the stock wire exits and used the wide hole already in the body so no new holes. I left the third ground wire in the housing and grounded it to the housing bolt. The 3157 base I used has 3 wires, red is ground, green is miner and black is major. You hook the brown (running lights) to the green minor and the green (right turn) or yellow ( left turn) depending on which side your wiring to the black major wire. I ran my original wires from the front of the jeep through the fire wall and through the wire run at the bottom of drivers door and back to rear corner and thats where my existing plug is. In the driver side rear corner there is a grommet to run the wire down and out to back of light housing. I then ran the passenger side wiring following the stock harness behind gas tank and then up to right light housing. Now all I do is plug the jeep in and done. Hope this helps somebody that is looking for an easy setup for towing lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like the fixture and placement that you use. I did something similar, but ran a completely separate circuit that didn't tap into the jeep's wiring at all (it will only light the two rear tail lights, but that should be sufficient for a small tow vehicle).

I ran a trailer wiring harness with a flat four plug (from Harbor freight) from the front of the jeep, down the inside of the engine compartment to the inside of the right frame member and then to the back of the jeep (I left enough line in front that I can coil it up and tie it off with a Velcro tie next to the air filter under the hood when not in use (and completely out of view). I also covered the part that goes from the engine compartment forward to the plug with some 3/8" split-loom tubing for a better look).

I then drilled a hole in the metal divider inside each tail light (you can see it in the pics in the post above, and they easily pull out to work on). I drilled the hole where the new bulb would clear the existing bulbs (above and below) and put in a 2-wire fixture for an 1157 bulb (grounded base). I ran the brake and turn signal light wires up through the existing body holes to the back of each tail light fixture (I had to 'T' splice in a second wire to run to the brake light in the second fixture). Then I ran a ground wire from the metal divider inside each fixture to the trailer wiring harness ground wire.

As the bulb is a bit off-center inside the fixture, I used LED 1157 bulbs that are a bit brighter than regular bulbs and they show up just fine.

All wires are completely out of view for a clean looking install, no body drilling necessary, and no diodes to mess with. Now when I need to tow, I just pull the coiled up harness out from under the hood, secure the hood and plug it in to the tow vehicle, no jumper needed. The install is really simple, and there are no worries of messing with the Jeep's existing electrical system.

I've towed with it several times with zero issues.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That looks great. Very clean set-up. I still use the magnetic lights. It's really no problem to me. I put them on when I hook up at the start of the trip. I tuck the wires in the door and out the tailgate and just leave them on till I get home again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've set up three of my previous TJs to be flat towed behind a motor home and done the extra socket in the lamp housing each time. After my TJ days though, I started using wireless magnetic lights, and if I still had a MH and wanted to tow my newly acquired TJ it would most definitely be the way I'd go.

They are so easy to use and are easier to see in my opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've set up three of my previous TJs to be flat towed behind a motor home and done the extra socket in the lamp housing each time. After my TJ days though, I started using wireless magnetic lights, and if I still had a MH and wanted to tow my newly acquired TJ it would most definitely be the way I'd go.

They are so easy to use and are easier to see in my opinion.
I can't edit yet apparently. Another point is that they also put a lot less strain on the towing rig's electrical system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts