Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lights switch on my 94 crapped out and the lights only work sometimes . I was wondering if i could just get a basic on opff toggle switch and just switch the wires. i would be able to just turn on my parking lamps but who needs to. it would be all on or all off

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
Yep, its not hard to do. You can even keep the parklights feature. Just go to Radioshack and get a DPDT On-Off-On toggle switch part number 275-1533. You can use the bottom "On" as the parklights and the top "On" as the headlights and the center is off.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet thanks this may be a dumb question but how do i tell which wire is which coming out of the plug i would assume that the bottom ones would go to the of and the top goes to the on but......

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
Lemmie get back to you tomorrow and I can tell you exactly which wire goes where. I'm sure my 94 has the same color wires as your 94.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks sounds good

·
Registered
63 Posts
is there any way to do this with the dimmer switch also? i think my little dimmer switch is shot because my dash lights dont come on at all and the they only worked when the dimmer scrol thing was in a certain position

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any word on the wiring diagram thing i need lights LOL

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
oops. I forgot to get them. I've been so busy trying to get the jeep ready to ship to england. My jeep is parked at a friends house cuz I'm staying in a hotel, so I'll have to drive over there tomorrow morning and write the colors down. I'd go now but its getting dark and pouring down rain. Sorry.

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
OK here goes. Accuracy on this about 98* as I have completely rewired my entire dash for the custom dash install so here it comes.

Everything will be referenced as if you were looking at the switch mounted in the dash...I.E. looking at the toggle.

Up will be headlights, the center will be off, and down will be park lights.

Top Left - Not used
Top Right - Dash lights. I don't know what your color will be for this because I have all new autometer phantom gauges and I ran a new wire for this location.
Center Left - Red w/ Orange tracer & Light Green w/ White tracer.
Center Right - Pink w/Red tracer.
Bottom Left - Light Green.
Bottom Right - Black w/ Yellow tracer.
You will also have to run a jumper wire from the top right to the bottom right. The terminal with black/yellow and the one that goes to the dash lights. This is so you'll have dash lights in both park and headlight positions.

There is a tan wire that was in there that I am not using. I have no idea where it goes. It could be for the dash lights, I don't know.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

FYI -- It would be best to ask them all before thursday morning because that is when my jeep goes the the port to get shipped out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks so much i guessed and it was all weird but with this it will be good thanks so much

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
is there any way to do this with the dimmer switch also? i think my little dimmer switch is shot because my dash lights dont come on at all and the they only worked when the dimmer scrol thing was in a certain position
I don't have any idea. I completely eliminated my dimmer circuit when I built my dash. It might be possible to use a variable resistor from radioshack or some place. If you try it you'll want to get a linear taper resistor and not an audio taper. I'm not sure how much amperage the dimmer circuit pulls. It might be more than one of the variable resistors can handle. I my memory is correct the dimmer switch that came in my jeep was pretty beefy and had a heatsink on it too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea it is beefy and it sparks a lot ALOT if stuff touches it like the red and orange wire not that it happened or anything

1 - 12 of 12 Posts