Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Sorry if this is not in the right area!

This is my first time posting. I am absolutely in love with my 2016 Jeep wrangler (74k miles). I am however annoyed with this lite ticking/cricketing sound coming from (what sound like) behind the dash. I was able to here It more clearly after removing the glove box. The sound appears to be right behind the temp controls, but its hard to tell.

Changing fan strength, heat, vents didn't change the sound at all.

From my research Its definitely not the rocker arm tick. I'm just wondering if this is the normal 3.6L fuel injector sound?

Link to videos of sound;

TIA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like injectors to me. Does the rhythm increase when you rev your engine?
Thanks for the reply! I just checked and it does seem to increase when I rev.

Is this just kind of a normal frequency for these injectors? Or when they go bad do they tend to get a bit louder?

·
Retired Moderator
104,341 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I just checked and it does seem to increase when I rev.

Is this just kind of a normal frequency for these injectors? Or when they go bad do they tend to get a bit louder?
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ,

Reactions: NewJeepDude

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you listened under the hood? Tried a mechanic's stethoscope? Checking around the accessible injectors and on the valve covers themselves. It sounds like an injector noise, but I would do some under hood checking to be 100% certain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s another video with the cover off. I think this sounds normal?

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Here’s another video with the cover off. I think this sounds normal?

It's really hard to tell on my PC. It sounds OK, it could be injector ticks. No CEL I'd drive it and stop worrying, or get a mechanic's stethoscope and probe around the valve covers and accessible injectors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Confirmed it is the injectors! Any idea how to quiet the ticking within the cabin? I really don’t mind them ticking, you can barely hear it outside the car, but inside they just tick tick tick and it’s just an annoyance. Super noticeable. It’s just one of those things.

I can live with it, but see a lot of people saying they can’t hear there’s inside the cabin.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Confirmed it is the injectors! Any idea how to quiet the ticking within the cabin? I really don’t mind them ticking, you can barely hear it outside the car, but inside they just tick tick tick and it’s just an annoyance. Super noticeable. It’s just one of those things.

I can live with it, but see a lot of people saying they can’t hear there’s inside the cabin.
Do you have the engine cover on, and the hood closed? If so you have better hearing than I do, I don't hear any objectionable noises sitting with mine idling. W/O adding some insulation to the firewall, something I wouldn't do. I don't think there's much else to do, other than making the radio louder. ;) It's a Wrangler, quiet riding is not one of it's strong points, motor on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts