Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $400 to put on a winch. Synthetic, steel? What is the lightest unit for my 2023 JKU?
Lifted already.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I beleive Warn used to advertise a light weight winch, not sure if they still sell or not, and I don't how how good it is. If you are worried about weight, then you'll want to get synthetic. It is going to be more expense, and it needs to be replaced more often than the steel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I doubt you're going to find a WARN for $400 with synthetic, since it's $150 upgrade from steel rope.

Warn has a Rock Crawler winch that I believe only comes with 50 ft of steel rope and was very light (as winches go)...but it wasn't cheap, at around $1,500.

The WARN 9.0RC weighs about 54 lbs.

Good luck in your search for an inexpensive yet light winch.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I just installed a Smittybilt SRC Comp 9500 (synthetic) on the front of my '14 two-door recently. I didn't weigh it by itself, but the winch, rope, Maximus 3 winch mounting plate, the four mounting brackets and hardware, and a pair of KC Apollo 7" lights mounted on the plate weighed 84 pounds. I wouldn't be surprised if the non-winch portions of that group weighed 30 pounds (it's a stout plate, to say the least,) so sounds like it's close to the Warn weight for a 9000 listed above.

I believe Smittybilt says there's about a 25 pound difference between steel and poly in the same winch. The poly version cost me $450, and the steel was 300. Totally worth it for the extra buck-and-a-half, in my book.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I have about $400 to put on a winch. Synthetic, steel? What is the lightest unit for my 2023 JKU?
Lifted already.
We have some Winches in your price range, but they aren't necessarily light. Synth will definitely save weight, but not money. Let me know if you're interested in anything you see on the website and I'll get you set up with a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Buy lightest do you mean actual weight or pulling strength?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was wanting this winch. I recall it being red and called the warn "competition" winch. Anyone know if its still being made and if so, where to get it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pulling power and durability are far more important than weight. A light winch does no good if it can't pull you out of trouble when you need it. I just bought a Warn M8000 with synthetic line. The synthetic line does save around 15-20lbs, but I want the winch itself to be bulletproof.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Lightweight "Comp" winches also have a lot less line...50' or so. Keep that in mind depending on where you wheel you might need more line.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Smittybilt XRC 9.5 weights 46 Lbs, costs $450

I'm new to this, are Smittybilt winches good enough quality?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts