Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have no clue on automotive wiring but I would like to attempt adding some lighting to my rig...I want to run 2 pairs of kc day lighters. One pair on the bull bar on my bumper and another on the windshield pillars. My question is this, how do I wire them to switches in the rig? remember I know nothing so a detailed explanation would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Okay I have no clue on automotive wiring but I would like to attempt adding some lighting to my rig...I want to run 2 pairs of kc day lighters. One pair on the bull bar on my bumper and another on the windshield pillars. My question is this, how do I wire them to switches in the rig? remember I know nothing so a detailed explanation would be appreciated
Okay so you will probably want to get two wiring harnesses from KC for the two lights. They'll have instructions in them, but I'll explain at a high level. You want to power the lights via a relay. So power will go from the battery to the relay (which acts like a heavy duty switch) and to the lights. But you have to have a way to control the relay. So you have a switch wired up so that when you activate it, the switch sends a signal to the relay which allows power to the lights. The KC harness has pretty much everything prewired, but you'll have to connect the lights, the power and ground, and connect the signal wire to the switch. I would do two switches with two harnesses to control the two sets of lights, but that's just me. Here is a little sketch I drew up real quick.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You need a SPOD! Makes adding after market accessories a breeze. You could wire your lights in seconds with this. First thing I added to my Jeep and I love it. Quality is awesome and it's made in USA!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need a SPOD! Makes adding after market accessories a breeze. You could wire your lights in seconds with this. First thing I added to my Jeep and I love it. Quality is awesome and it's made in USA!
problem is I have an overhead storage console so I don't think the spod will work...I was hoping to put the switches on the pillar

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so you will probably want to get two wiring harnesses from KC for the two lights. They'll have instructions in them, but I'll explain at a high level. You want to power the lights via a relay. So power will go from the battery to the relay (which acts like a heavy duty switch) and to the lights. But you have to have a way to control the relay. So you have a switch wired up so that when you activate it, the switch sends a signal to the relay which allows power to the lights. The KC harness has pretty much everything prewired, but you'll have to connect the lights, the power and ground, and connect the signal wire to the switch. I would do two switches with two harnesses to control the two sets of lights, but that's just me. Here is a little sketch I drew up real quick.

btw thanks for that write up....very much help :awesome:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If anyone can help me here, I have a similar question to this. Didn't want to start a new thread. I am installing KC slim lights and have a question about power wires. I understand to run power wire from relay directly to battery, my problem is with power wire from switch. I have seen where tapping into existing wiring and also running that directly to battery. What is the best way to do this. The in line fuse with the KC harness is in the engine compartment. I want to make sure my Jeep starts tomorrow and don't cause any issues later on. If somebody can explain it for me thank you. According to picture above it looks like both go to battery?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Have you seen the thread about the guy cutting a slot in his overhead storage to put a spod system in? It's gorgeous, to the point I am buying overhead storage just to do what he did. Il go see if I can find it and il link it to you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Socal_rubi is the person that started the thread. I have no idea how to put a link to the thread but you can look up his name and read about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts