Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a set of 2 auxiliary lights, probably the KC daylighters unless someone convinces me otherwise, and I was wondering what people have for a set up? I am looking at something I can legally run on the roads(I know some lights are too bright for the road but I'm just worried about placement of the lights being legal). I was thinking of something like a prerunner bar. Something that looks good that won't require me to buy a new bumper. Can anyone help me out with this by posting pics of your set ups?

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Your BEST bet for on the highway will be factory lights.
Some states require that aftermarket lights be kept covered unless the vehicle is off highway.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There are some lights that are legal for on-road use. They'll be rated SAE, DOT, or one other danged 3 letter thing.
KC daylighters, I'm pretty sure, are NOT legal for road use. I know Hella 500 series are road legal, but I'm not sure about others. Do a little research, and you'll find some options.
I went with Hella 500FF's on mine, because they're street legal.
I get naaasty looks from some of the local cops, but they can't do anything.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Well, here's the whole judicial discussion on lighting if you want to read it.

Forget most of the Jeep boutique shops for buying lights; they sell what's popular and makes them money. Most of it is cheap Chinese crap.
Here's a place to buy legal foglights or driving lights and learn how to use them.
The Cibie Oscars have been calling me for a while now.

In my state, I can have either a set of (DOT or ECE compliant) foglights or driving lights burning ---- the fogs with lowbeams and the driving lights with highbeams ---- at a time.
Offroad, you can burn what you want.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jkjeeper06 said:
Im looking to buy a set of 2 auxiliary lights, probably the KC daylighters unless someone convinces me otherwise, and I was wondering what people have for a set up? I am looking at something I can legally run on the roads(I know some lights are too bright for the road but I'm just worried about placement of the lights being legal). I was thinking of something like a prerunner bar. Something that looks good that won't require me to buy a new bumper. Can anyone help me out with this by posting pics of your set ups?
I just had the KC slim lights installed on a Prerunner light bar Yesterday. I think it looks great. Very clean installation. As for road use, I'm planning on using on very dark/under lite roads in my town. I will try to post some pictures later.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the cheapo (~$30 ea) 6" 100watt for off road only. I put them on a bumper light hoop. Bolts to factory bumper....dont want to spend $$$$ to replace if one gets broken.
<-----see avitar...

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RR light bar with KCs installed - PICS!!!!!!

there is a link to the exact same thing i am thinking of doing to my jeep if anyone wanted some ideas. In massachusetts I couldnt find any laws on auxiliary lighting so i am just going to run them and see what happens. I think as long as they are aimed right it shouldnt be a problem

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are for using. I'm going to have to make sure they are aimed pretty low tho so I don't get pulled over. I want them to hit the ground 40-60 feet In front of me. Maybe keep the center one for long distance on backroads

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Those are for using.
Offroad, I hope.

None of those are legal for use on the road.
Carry your covers with you in case you get pulled over; you might just get a warning and order to cover them.
Some states and jurisdictions will be harsher than others. In other words, expect to get pulled over if you go through VA or CA, etc.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Well, here's the whole judicial discussion on lighting if you want to read it.

Forget most of the Jeep boutique shops for buying lights; they sell what's popular and makes them money. Most of it is cheap Chinese crap.
Here's a place to buy legal foglights or driving lights and learn how to use them.
The Cibie Oscars have been calling me for a while now.

In my state, I can have either a set of (DOT or ECE compliant) foglights or driving lights burning ---- the fogs with lowbeams and the driving lights with highbeams ---- at a time.
Offroad, you can burn what you want.
In another thread you mentioned the Hella 500FF, I was wondering what you thought about the 700FF? If I read correctly the only difference was the 700FF is a larger lens.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
In another thread you mentioned the Hella 500FF, I was wondering what you thought about the 700FF? If I read correctly the only difference was the 700FF is a larger lens.
Thanks.
I've only seen the 700s in a box on a shelf... :redface:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I run Hella's, two sets, plus headlights.

The reason is, I run at night a lot and I'm in deer country. I've already nailed a doe this year, and I want lots of back-up.

My Hella 500's are aimed low and to the right, I also run a set of 2500's, the 2500's are used as a high beam and I turn them off for oncoming traffic.

My lights are rather cheap, compared to some, but when I hit a deer or a stone hits them and shatters the light, they are cheap and easy to replace but give pretty good illumination, and the cops leave me alone.

What you need will depend on where you live and drive.
You can see mine in my avi....

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the cheapo (~$30 ea) 6" 100watt for off road only. I put them on a bumper light hoop. Bolts to factory bumper....dont want to spend $$$$ to replace if one gets broken.
<-----see avitar...
Me too ^^^:punk:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts