Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am going to need to get some lights and a cb radio for my TJ any sugestions? I would need a good reliable CB radio and some Good Lights. I really don't want to pay alot of money maybe something in the middle. if you can post pics it would help.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
What kind of lights are you wanting? As for a CB i have the Uniden Pro 510 XL, its a great little radio and last a long time. it will cost you about 40.00 at a local truck stop. I also have a side body mount and a wilson fiberglass antenna. Firestik also makes a very good antenna. You can't go wrong with any of those. My antenna is just a 2 footer. you really don't need to go any higher. I haven't noticed any difference going from a 3 footer to a 2 footer. Just besure after you install the CB and antenna you get the antenna tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can get Uniden PRO510XL from Sears for 39.99 if you order it in the store they will ship it to your door for free. It seems to be the most popular, I'm installing one this weekend with a 3' FireStik. As for lights I have the KC SlimLites mounted on the windshield and really like them. You can get KC Daylighters for less, around $100, I just like the lower profile look of the SlimLites on the windshield

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of lights are you wanting? As for a CB i have the Uniden Pro 510 XL, its a great little radio and last a long time. it will cost you about 40.00 at a local truck stop. I also have a side body mount and a wilson fiberglass antenna. Firestik also makes a very good antenna. You can't go wrong with any of those. My antenna is just a 2 footer. you really don't need to go any higher. I haven't noticed any difference going from a 3 footer to a 2 footer. Just besure after you install the CB and antenna you get the antenna tuned.
lights are just going to be for off road use only.

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
After just buying 2 cb's & fitting 3, I found that the Cb's are all pretty good in the three top brands-Uniden, Cobra & Midland & are really all just as good no matter what you spend. The ones with a built in SWR meter are more expensive but you are better to get one without it & buy a SWR meter on it's own. Buy the best quality antenna you can afford & sometimes the CB will be the lesser cost of the two. Firestik & Wilson are good brands of Antennas. Even if the Antenna is a pre-tuned, put it on your SWR meter & do it again. Try to have the antenna 10 or 12 inches obove the roofline of your rig. We have a $40 cb a $80 cb & a $50 cb, all of them work the same & are clear with good range incoming & outgoing, so price is not really going to be a big factor in the quality. As Missoulatj said one of ours also came from Sears online & they have good prices on theirs

·
Registered
359 Posts
the cb itself if not a big issue. the key is to get the best Antenna you can, mount it as high as you can (you want as much of it above your vehicle as possible) and to tune it. A lot of people do not realize it, but you must tune your antenna once you have everything installed.

Also, you might want to consider getting a HAM 440/2 meter radio. In case of emergency the HAM will have a LOT more range and can access a large number of repeaters that the CB can not. However the draw back is you need a license to use it. But it is only around 10 dollars to get for a few years.

darin

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys this is very helpful to me as i dont know much about offroading and that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 said:
I saw one very cheap on e bay, but I guess you would still need antenna or something.
Yeah I still would need an antenna. What's a good recomended length for my tj?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Francis Hot Rod' antennas, are much better than the fire sticks and cheaper too. If you're using a Cobra or Midland CB, get 18' of coaxle (I know it sounds like a lot but it all works together, just coil up the extra and stash it some where), and a 5' antenna. Also if you can find a CB shop have them install a larger "Final" and do a 'Peak and Tune'. The final and tune usually runs about $60. Make sure the antenna mount is mounted to bare metal, it needs a proper ground for everything to work right. With these few tips the range on your radio will go from .5 to 2 miles to 10 to 12 miles.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Truck stops in your area; E-Z trip on Highway 99 exit 142 in Fresno. & Travel centers of America (T/A) Highway 99 exit 203 in Livingston. the E-Z trip might have them, The T/A's normally carry the antennas, and sometimes have the CB shops too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts