Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the Rough Country Spod?

What brands are good and what to avoid?

My avatar has JK next to mine with the light set up I want.

Spot bar on grille protector and wide on cubes. Just 4 cubes instead of 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm running the Apollointech. I have the 4 switch A pillar mount. I paid less than $160 and I'm really happy with it. There is a huge thread on here about it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How handy are you electrically? Do you enjoy the challenge of building something yourself? What is your budget?

I wanted to build something myself. I also wanted something a little bit different, and to top it all off I am very cheap, and I didn't want to pay for an sPOD, even the cheaper knock offs. I created my own set up. I had some trials and tribulations along the way with a couple of DayStar panels (lesson here is ALWAYS test fit the panels before you cut).

switches.jpg

wiring2.jpg

wiring1.jpg

under_hood_wiring.jpg

wiring_diagram.jpg

Exco

Reactions: Wandell

·
Registered
810 Posts
How handy are you electrically? Do you enjoy the challenge of building something yourself? What is your budget?

I wanted to build something myself. I also wanted something a little bit different, and to top it all off I am very cheap, and I didn't want to pay for an sPOD, even the cheaper knock offs. I created my own set up. I had some trials and tribulations along the way with a couple of DayStar panels (lesson here is ALWAYS test fit the panels before you cut).

View attachment 3686857

View attachment 3686865

View attachment 3686873

View attachment 3686881

View attachment 3686889

Exco
Do you have a cover for that? Any other waterproofing? Very clean looking install. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Do you have a cover for that? Any other waterproofing? Very clean looking install. :thumb:
No, there is no cover. After about a year and a half I haven't had any issues.
I also don't ford any rivers or submerge the front of my Jeep either :D

Exco

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check into the apollointech. There are many threads that all discuss the same thing and they all end up with the apollo. In my opinion, any other brand that is more expensive is a waste of your money.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
No, there is no cover. After about a year and a half I haven't had any issues.
I also don't ford any rivers or submerge the front of my Jeep either :D

Exco
If you are in water that deep you have bigger problems than your power distribution system.

I have heard good things through the rumor mill about the rough country panel. Much better than their lifts...lol.

I did my own diy panel too. Not waterproofed. No issues in almost 2 years.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I also went the DIY route because I wasn't happy with the options out there and more importantly because the Jeep is a hobby for me. - I like to experiment and tinker with things for fun.

Rowe Electronics PDM60 solid state power distribution module mounted behind the glove box and a DIY switch box mounted on my Arizona Rocky Road radio mount. The PDM60 has no relays or fuses (solid state switching) and has a 60A total capacity that can be programmed (USB cable and app) for each output load as well as delayed start-up and shut-down of the outputs. Useful for say, delayed shutdown of your lights after you turn off the ignition.

http://pdm60.com

DIY switch box using a Lincoln Binns (UK) box. Going for the retro look with big chrome switches.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also bought and running the Apollointech and have nothing but good to say about it. Works great and looks good in my opinion. I went with the blue light and its not annoyingly bright at night to me, just right. I am going to put a small piece of window tint over the volt meter just to subdue it more because I think it will look better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts