Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep was bought with every thing standard....and I would like to add limited slip deferential! Any advice? What to buy and how to install?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Tru-trac. Have it professionally installed.

·
Registered
907 Posts
^^^^^^^X 2 on the trutrac....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wow..
5 votes for Tru-Trac, & not one good explanation why.

Can somebody please explain the mechanical reasoning behind recommending a Tru-Trac for an off-road/daily driver, other than Detroit/Eatons marketing propaganda..

This is the second thread I've seen recently regarding LSD diffs, without much actual mechanical reasoning behind the posted recommendations (I'm talking real thoughts/explanations, not 'cut & paste' info)

·
Registered
485 Posts
^^^^^
Because worm gear differentials are an excellent design principal. Gleason Torsen, AAM Trac-Rite and the Tru-Trac are all examples of this. No clutches or chattering. No special oil. Seamless operation and no pre-load or ratchets to make them dangerous in very slippery conditions.

Do some research on the various styles and you'll begin to see the advantages.

·
Registered
907 Posts
No clutch packs to wear out.....actually use the product....

·
Registered
692 Posts
^^^^^
Because worm gear differentials are an excellent design principal. Gleason Torsen, AAM Trac-Rite and the Tru-Trac are all examples of this. No clutches or chattering. No special oil. Seamless operation and no pre-load or ratchets to make them dangerous in very slippery conditions.

Do some research on the various styles and you'll begin to see the advantages.
Ok.. so another 'generalized' post that offers no actual mechanical explanation/advantage regarding it's point of view.

Why are torsion diffs better than clutch diffs?
What is the 'design principal'?
Whats the issue with 'pre-load'?
What do you mean by 'seamless' operation?
Ratchets? What the hell are you even talking about??

I don't need to research, I know the actual differences/advantages/disadvantages. I just don't think you do, nor anyone else who posted here.

Yep, I'm calling all of you out.
Because I think all of you should explain the 'whys' of your recommendation, in detail.
You all jumped in on this post, you owe the OP at least that much..

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ok.. so another 'generalized' post that offers no actual mechanical explanation/advantage regarding your point of view.

Because I think all of you should explain the 'whys' of your recommendation, in detail.
:nonono: That's not how it works here. You see a recommendation 5 times, and you must also recommend that. If someone with 1k posts says it, it hold some weight. 5k+ they're trusted. 10k+ and other posters can use you as a source of irrefutable evidence.

In all seriousness, in. It's always a nice change to see some civil discussion with knowledgeable people instead of "get currie/savvy/zone, Rough country sucks because it sucks, black magic is the only magic, etc or your rig will fall apart on the street."

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ok.. so another 'generalized' post that offers no actual mechanical explanation/advantage regarding it's point of view.

Why are torsion diffs better than clutch diffs?
What is the 'design principal'?
Whats the issue with 'pre-load'?
What do you mean by 'seamless' operation?
Ratchets? What the hell are you even talking about??

I don't need to research, I know the actual differences/advantages/disadvantages. I just don't think you do, nor anyone else who posted here.

Yep, I'm calling all of you out.
You all jumped in on this post, you owe the OP at least that much..
Since you know the answers to your questions.... why not enlighten us instead of giving us grief....
I believe we ALL would enjoy a good detailed explanation....

·
Registered
485 Posts
ASE,

Actually, I do understand them and just mentioned some advantages. Just curious, but since you already know everything, why are you asking?

Since you already know everything, maybe you can explain the worm gear principal in differentials. Or why pre-loaded clutches can be more dangerous and less effective? Or why a ratchet system is less stable in corners? Ooops, that might take some research.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't know why people bother giving "ASE" the time of day, go look at his other posts. Nothing more than a self-proclaimed expert with trollish behavior. If people stop feeding him them maybe he'll just go away. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Since you know the answers to your questions.... why not enlighten us instead of giving us grief....
How about you explain the mechanical reasoning behind your recommendation/post for the OP, so he can make an 'informed' decision, instead of relying on just your 'opinion'.

You can bet I'll 'enlighten' all of you with my thoughts, after I (& the OP) hear the reasoning behind all your recommendations..

Man up, stand behind your comments & mechanically explain your position/recommendation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't used a truetrack so I won't recommend it without experience with it. I myself like a adjustable locker open diff on the street closed when you need it. Good in the front good in the back

·
Registered
692 Posts
ASE,
Actually, I do understand them and just mentioned some advantages. Just curious, but since you already know everything, why are you asking?

Since you already know everything, maybe you can explain the worm gear principal in differentials. Or why pre-loaded clutches can be more dangerous and less effective? Or why a ratchet system is less stable in corners? Ooops, that might take some research.
I don't know why people bother giving "ASE" the time of day, go look at his other posts. Nothing more than a self-proclaimed expert with trollish behavior. If people stop feeding him them maybe he'll just go away. :)
So mocking, insulting, & presenting more questions, is the best way of helping the OP to understand why your view of Torsen differentials being 'the best' is correct for his application?

Why don't you all simply support your opinions/recommendations with mechanically accurate facts/explanations?

·
Retired Moderator
100,626 Posts
^^^I believe that GKN Drive-line Division manufactures the lockers.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.