Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a stock 2012 JK with an open differential...(I checked with vin num.)...and I would like to add as original equipment a limited slip...my question is,what would be the correct install? The JK is an automatic..and I don't rock crawl etc...I would like what ever comes with that mode, which is the Sport(El Cheapo)..model....oops, I forgot,but it came with a Dana 44 and a 3.73 rear....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The same limited slip differential for the rear is available as an option on the Sport and the Sahara. You can buy them from Mopar and they should all be the same part number. It'll cost about $500 for the labor to install it on top of the cost for the part.

A better option would be a Detroit TruTrac limited slip. They are more durable then the factory clutch type and about the same price.

Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The same limited slip differential for the rear is available as an option on the Sport and the Sahara. You can buy them from Mopar and they should all be the same part number. It'll cost about $500 for the labor to install it on top of the cost for the part.

A better option would be a Detroit TruTrac limited slip. They are more durable then the factory clutch type and about the same price.

Mike
Thanks, I will take that under advice...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with these guys. If mine didn't already have it from factory, I'd go with the Detroit.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The Anti-Spin differential is a stand alone option. It is not part of the towing package.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The helical gears in the TT are a lot more heavy duty than the clutch packs in the factory limited slip.
Shortly after purchasing my '11 JK Sport w/ 3.73 I replaced the open differential carrier with the Detroit TruTrac limited slip.
The TT has great road manners in the rain and snow; they are a great addition to the Brake Loc differentials that come in the JKs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same as the OP, sort of:

I have a 2015 Sahara JK (auto) with 3.73 axle ratio and Dana 44 rear axle. No LSD.

Is this the right Detroit TT?: Detroit TrueTrac#363-913A589

JEGS website says it will fit Jeep Dana 44 up to 2012... can't find one for a 2015 though...Did Jeep change the Dana 44 rear from 2012 to 2015?

So I can expect to pay ~ $500 in labor for the install - 3hrs of labor? I don't plan on having the stealership do this- should I wait until the warranty is over?

Still on the fence if I need this. Some snow, mostly ice storms 'round here. Off-roading is dirt/clay with some mud, no rock climbing - nothing serious - just getting to tree stands etc. Should I leave well enough alone and focus on good tires?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I would not waste a dime on factory LSD. They are simply not worth the money as an aftermarket addon.

Do what others say and get the TruTrac.... for a few more bucks you will have something that not only works well, but will last. I've seen clutch-based LSDs wear out in a few months of ocassional wheeling.... you then are right back to the open diff you have now.

For my money, I would get a real locker, but that comes with its own set of peculiarities... If you want an LSD... the Detroit TruTrac is the best there is and the price is more than reasonable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts